Like Tree1Likes

About to fly out to HK.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Enlighten me on how to get a position as a photographer in HK...No idea.

and how is it in HK now? much has changed?
    The economy is down in the dumps; something to do with a global recession. Unemployment is up. A couple of shops I like closed down. Swine flu is rampant and we are all going to die (or not). Foreigners with high temperatures are quarantined here and in China.

Is the chinese visa restrictions will going on againest foreigners?
    For some visas, yes. For some visas, no. Of course this depends on whether the People's Standing Committee is about to sit.
    thank god!!!!
    you have blessed this thread...

to those of you who dont know jack about DSLR's.
    ive flipped thru enough HK gossip magazines to conclude that most of the nonflash, not enough light background pictured had soo much noise, either the camera was not set at a proper ISO rate or that camera isnt powerful enough.
    so, either all of the popular magazines get their pics from one camera man, or a whole lot of them need to PROPERLY rate the ISO...OR need a more powerful camera.
    Last edited by protocl; 15-06-2009 at 02:27 PM.

And just in case you decide to ever post here again (I know it's probably not likely lol), here is an example of a well thought out initial post with some insightful answers from the many helpful people on this forum (note post #10 by the OP, first sentence)

Last edited by timklip; 15-06-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Protocl, on the photography front: I wasn't actually intending to demean your equipment. Just pointing out that there isn't any feasible chance of you finding paid photography work out here. You need the contacts, a portfolio and unfortunately you also need a baseline of gear to impress those contacts. I know this because I've worked with good pro photographers and know how the hiring works.

At the other end of the market (a couple of hundred HKD for a whole night event) you still need the portfolio and contacts. Gear requirements will be less of a hurdle but will still exist.

There will be dozens, if not hundreds, of amature photography clubs which might open up avenues for casual work, but if you're here for a 2 week block, don't waste time looking for paid work. Just go out an shoot your own stuff.

On the writing front: Your English isn't too bad, it's just that if you tried organising your thoughts a little more, then it would be way easier for people to understand your posts and they would respond more positively.

Last edited by jgl; 15-06-2009 at 02:34 PM.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    dang it...

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    dang it...
    I'm sending you the bill for repairing my computer, that holy water made a bloody mess of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by protocl:
    thank god!!!!

to those of you who dont know jack about DSLR's.
    ive flipped thru enough HK gossip magazines to conclude that most of the nonflash, not enough light background pictured had soo much noise, either the camera was not set at a proper ISO rate or that camera isnt powerful enough.
    so, either all of the popular magazines get their pics from one camera man, or a whole lot of them need to PROPERLY rate the ISO...OR need a more powerful camera.
    at no point did i call it an entry level cam...i said it was mid level AT BEST.

as far as me pointing out the equipment. for you to come over and get a job as a photog- one would presume you're already a professional out there in the states. knowing a lot of professionals in the states, i know that they don't use anything but the top of the line. if it's your profession then spending a few grand just on the body is no big deal.

since you don't, then i'd presume you're not already a professional, and therefore would find it extremely hard to be a professional here.

simple logic made easier to follow.

hey...on a side not...hows the western hemisphere doing? anything change in the past 20 years?

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    at no point did i call it an entry level cam...i said it was mid level AT BEST.

as far as me pointing out the equipment. for you to come over and get a job as a photog- one would presume you're already a professional out there in the states. knowing a lot of professionals in the states, i know that they don't use anything but the top of the line. if it's your profession then spending a few grand just on the body is no big deal.

since you don't, then i'd presume you're not already a professional, and therefore would find it extremely hard to be a professional here.

simple logic made easier to follow.
    1. he reads HK gossip mags for reference
    2. he refers to pro photographers as 'camera man'...

my money's on 'poser'

not to mention that gossip mags are normally filled with grainy photos of people spying or rushing in to infringe on celebrities privacies. not too many of those photogs are concerned about image quality when they know the price they will get paid is based on subject and not quality.

proctolgist is probably microtween in drag

Well, ill post a few photo links some time tonight. Consider it a peace offering, hope this wont induce more trolling.
    Posted via Mobile Device