Rent and Childminder

Closed Thread

Rent and Childminder

Hello - We are moving to Hong Kong and I have a few questions about Domestic Helpers/Childminders. We will likely live in a 2 BR flat with our 1 year old. I am from the US and quite used to Daycare but realize that a Helper will be a better bargain in Hong Kong. I'm not quite certain I want someone living with us as we adjust to a new culture in a small space. Both my spouse and I will be working full time. My questions are below. Any advice is appreciated:

1. Can I legally employ someone to come to my home and look after my child during the day (8-10 hours) and if so what would this cost in HKD per month?

2. Can I feel secure in having a helper take my child to a Play Group each day?? I'm REALLY unsure about this.

3. How much is reasonable for a Play Group in the Mid-Levels/North Point area and what would the total monthly cost be for a child minder?

4. We know that my monthly salary will be around 35,000 HKD monthly will this be enough to cover rent in a decent neighborhood and a childminder? Our plan is to have my spouse's income cover everything other than rent and childminder.

Welcome to HK firstly.

1. Can I legally employ someone to come to my home and look after my child during the day (8-10 hours) and if so what would this cost in HKD per month?
    I can't help re costs but you can employ a legal part-time or live-out helper. As I understand it they are usually local (ie; not foreign) or have a visa to work in HK that is not a foreign domestic helper visa. You could also go down the path of employing a qualified nanny but this is $$$

2. Can I feel secure in having a helper take my child to a Play Group each day?? I'm REALLY unsure about this.
    You are the one interviewing and employing this person so don't employ someone that you are not comfortable with.

3. How much is reasonable for a Play Group in the Mid-Levels/North Point area and what would the total monthly cost be for a child minder?
    Can't help here. My DD will start playgroup in Sept (I don't think playgroup is for kids under 2...) and we will pay about $3,000HK per month.

4. We know that my monthly salary will be around 35,000 HKD monthly will this be enough to cover rent in a decent neighborhood and a childminder? Our plan is to have my spouse's income cover everything other than rent and childminder.
    I think so but it depends on your lifestyle and where you want to live. People live on this amount as their whole budget for the family. As a start, a live-in helper's min pay is $4,500++ if you find a nice two bedder somewhere like Discovery Bay for about $18K you would still have some change left over.