Furniture in HK

Closed Thread

Furniture in HK

Hi there,

I'm relocating to HK. My relocation package is around US$4000 and can be used for shipping stuff and buying new furniture in HK. As it is such a small package, I'd like to determine how much I can use for shipping, after leaving enough for buying new furniture.

I will need to furnish 2 bedrooms and the living room. I'm thinking two full size beds (hopefully with storage), 2 dressers, a set of sofa/couch, a coffee table 2-3 large storage/book shelves, a TV and TV stand, 2 desks/tables, beddings and linens, lamps, some dishes, a few pots and pans, and some curtains.

These would come up to quite a sum in the US. How much should I budget for furnishing a two-bedroom apt in HK? I don't have to go for high-end stuff so some better lines at IKEA could do. I tried to find their prices in HK but they don't seem to put those on the website...

I would appreciate any estimates or your experiences, or sources to find this information.

Thanks,

Limin

Last edited by Limin; 20-06-2009 at 04:56 AM.

ikea hk has an online catalogue

IKEA

any way prices for ikea are very reasonable esp. considering the relatively decent quality you will recieve

well, you can spend from US$800/HK$5000 for a very basic ikea furniture up to US$4000/HK$31,000

expects prices to be similar or marginally more expensive ( some items are cheaper as i found out in during work and kitting out a bedroom with the exactly same ikea furniture to a bed room in uk)

depending on how long you will stay and budget, even consider second hand, possibly come here now as it's ikea sale.

if you want bargain prices, eg, second hand,bit good condition and most are relatively new, many expats leave for the summer over new 2 months, check this website classified and asiaexpat website

When we relocated a family of four I only shipped a small amount of our belongings and purchased furniture etc when we arrived. HK$40,000 (most of which was covered in the package, thank goodness!). This time I will be shipping and just purchasing stuff we need to replace anyway (company figured it out this time and no where as good a deal!).

IKEA is a good way to start. You can also get lots of good quality furniture second hand from expats leaving HK. Check out the classifieds on this site.

I would also take a look at the huge furniture shops in Aberdeen.
    They also have sofas made to order for example.

Thanks for the info. I've got to start working right away so unless I'm really lucky with a moving sale, I might have to buy all new furniture from IKEA, or another store. Style-wise I like simple lines with some bright accent colors, so IKEA works well for that. Will definitely check out the catalog.

So if Oze-kid furnished a home with four kids for HK$40,000, I'm guessing I can complete by two bedroom apt with about $20,000. That leaves me a bit more than US$1,000 to use for shipping. There's just stuff that's hard to get rid of...

Personally would mainly go the Ikea route, and maybe use Price-Rite for some stuff.

Wing-On Department Store is also good for certain things. Some of it is not cheap but if you root around you can get what you need at a reasonable price.

Can't give you an idea of costs as my apartment was partly furnished and it's 2 1/2 years since I moved in. You could just look at bringing in the essentials first and maybe things at a slightly lower price than what you would ideally choose. Then build up and swap out over time.

you should check out Home Essentials. They do rental if you're only going to be here for 2 years or so. But i know they also do Retail.

good luck finding something! let me know if you find any good options for shipping... i've not been able to find any cheap options for that yet

Last edited by kaiX; 13-07-2009 at 03:03 PM.