child friendly place to stay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

child friendly place to stay

hi there

my husband and I r ( we r dutch israeli) planning to come to hong kong for a few months. we r still investigating where is best to stay since my husband will have to work some in shenzen. we have a 2.5 year old son and we are wondering where is a hcild friendly english speaking place to find a place to live. I would appreciate any help. have a great day. me

a child friendsly place to stay

hi there

my husband and I r ( we r dutch israeli) planning to come to hong kong for a few months. we r still investigating where is best to stay since my husband will have to work some in shenzen. we have a 2.5 year old son and we are wondering where is a hcild friendly english speaking place to find a place to live. I would appreciate any help. have a great day. me

With the need to travel to Shenzen, you should consider somewhere in the New Territories. I would recommend Shatin or Ma On Shan. These places are on the MTR (public rail), and are nice areas with lots of outdoor space for children. Both have large parks with playgrounds, and there's a great swimming pool in Ma On Shan.

There are no English speaking areas in Hong Kong. Many locals speak English, but the overall fluency is a mixed bag. I've encountered fluent English speakers and people who barely speak a word of English in all parts of Hong Kong. All the same, you can still get by quite well in Hong Kong on English alone.

we need a budget and requirements for housing rather than "english speaking"... we need specifics so that we can then let you know various areas that have a larger proportion of english speakers.

there are definitely some areas that have a larger expat population such as:
    discovery bay
    sai kung
    mid-levels
    south side

but as stated there are usually some english speaking people found everywhere. whether you want expat english speakers or local english speakers is a different matter.

i would actually recommend KOWLOON TONG, near Yau Yat Chuen. it is close to the former KCR (now MTR) to shenzhen, has a larger population of expats, has a large shopping centre etc.

I agree -- Sha Tin and Ma On Shan are both lovely places for families. They're further up the East Rail line which will bring you to Shenzhen, but not so far up that it's prohibitively difficult to get down to Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.

Kowloon Tong is decent as well -- a bit further down the East Rail line than Sha Tin -- but my experience has been that the housing is less convenient from the station than those in, e.g. Sha Tin. YMMV of course.

Where in Shenzhen? If he will be coming to the west side, then the Shenzhen Bay Port crossing is faster and more convenient that the main one and thus staying on the west side of the NT (Gold Coast is more expat; Tuen Mun or Yuen Long slightly closer but less green and expat friendly) works too. Just have a look at a map.

How often will he travel? If it's not that often (less than once per week) then it shouldn't be a factor and what you are doing the rest of the time is probably more important - in which case Discovery Bay may suit you better as it is very child-friendly and full of expats. Close to the airport too but not that great for Shenzhen, so , depends on the frequency.

I agree with the other posts too, depending on the location in Shenzhen.

I lived in the Tung Chung area for a year and it's a very family friendly environment. There are plenty of international schools and the air is relatively cleaner, but the only drawback is that it's not close to the main HK areas.

Since your husband will be working in Shenzhen, Shatin would also be good place because it's closer to SZ than Tung Chung. Shatin is not as urban as other areas, but it is also family friendly environment.

Areas that you definitely want to avoid if you're keeping your children in mind is anywhere near Mong Kok or Tsim Sha Tsui. Bars, clubs, brothels, dirt and crowds are there.

parents in hong kong - please help!

Hi

We r from holland and we r going to come to hong kong in a few months for half a year or more, we have a 2.5 year old son
    My husband will have to work frequesntly in shenzen
    I hope you can hellp me with info re the following questions:

1. for families with small kids where is the best place to live, I heard the midlevel is the best since it is close to everything (my husband does not want to spend a lot of extra time necessary after commuting to n from shenzen.) I guess we will be looking for a service flat, are there any that you recommend?

2. Kindergardens - english speaking of course - any that you reccomend that will take us for a few months? or maybe play groups?

3.Are there any groups for english speaking mom's?

Many thanks for your time
    have a great day
    me

help in families moving to hong kong please

Hi

We r from holland and we r going to come to hong kong in a few months for half a year or more, we have a 2.5 year old son

1. for families with small kids where is the best place to live, I heard the midlevel is the best since it is close to everything (my husband does not want to spend a lot of extra time necessary after commuting to n from shenzen.) I guess we will be looking for a service flat, are there any that you recommend?

2. Kindergardens - english speaking of course - any that you reccomend that will take us for a few months? or maybe play groups?

have a great day
    me

help in moving a family to hong kong please

Hi

have a great day
    me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast