Take the car with us?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

To be honest, I am inclined to say that you'd better forget about the Citroen. I don't think I have seen a Citroen in HK in the last eight years (correct me if I am wrong). You will definitely have problem maintaining it (generally European cars are about twice as expensive to maintain than Japanese).

Given this situation, you will be far better off selling the car, come to HK then decide if you really want/need one.

When I came to HK with my toddler (without a pushchair, thinking of getting one here), I'd decided not to get any pushchair at all but just hold my toddler if needed. This is simply because of the amount of exhaust on the road side. Putting my toddler in a pushchair at that level waiting to cross the road, I might as well feed the exhaust to her like an oxygen mask...

Last edited by PettsWood; 16-09-2005 at 06:10 PM.

hmmm..Hong Kong doesn't sound so good anymore..I understand the air is really really polluted... Dot i want to bring the children in such an environment?

Holding two children in my arms would me impossible so i do need the pushchair.

You can hire a helper here for the equivalent of GBP 320-350.

If the company is serious about moving you, ask for a three or four day trip to check the place out.

Just a thought -- you probably want to get a better picture of living here with kids on GeoBaby.Com. Lots of moms and dads and many of them have just moved here in the last year or so.

if you decided to bring your citreon over, and later decide to sell it, please tell me I am really into one. Citreon became extinct in the hk market since some years ago, and it might take you 3-6 months to order and receive your citreon parts here. It will save you time (out of road) and money (2nd hand and non-genuine parts) if you get a "popular" new or 2nd hand car here in HK.

Back in Toronto now - after 10 1/2 years in HK

If you decide that you are going to need a car in HK, I would recommend you sell yours there and buy one from a departing expat here. For the reasons given by others. HK is a different and practical sort of world when it comes to gizmos and such like and chances are after a while you'll be wondering why you were getting sentimental about your car of back home which would now seem a bit out of place here (or PC, or TV, or music system etc that so many ask about on such forums).

Some employers compensate for the loss of selling the car during a relocation. I had a 2 years old car when I relocated. It was not mentioned in the original relocation proposal but surfaced during discussion. I asked for it and state to the company the scenario. We discussed the "formula" to arrive at the loss and the company compensated me. You should check with the employer.

Dont forget that taxis are a cheap/reasonable mode of transport as well. I would still ditch the car and also the pram!

It's not like they're not around, I've just seen a double pram in the window display (Windsor House, it was a bebe-confort model) and there was another (MacLaren I think) in the street as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PettsWood:
    I suppose it was in the good old days when citizens of Hong Kong were busy chating with estate agents, old coins collectors and the like to bother with civil servants. Given it was when Sir Donald was the Finance Secretary, it must have been a long time ago around 1997, I suppose. I think he gave his explanatio that he had a long holiday in Europe so he brought a car as the means of transport and afterwards he like it so much that he imported it back to HK as a second hard car with some milage on it. Apparently it was only discussed once or twice and did not caused a stir.

Yes you are right, I cannot find any reference to it at all.
    that is because it was a lexus and not a mercedes....

the search term is "lexusgate"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lexusgate

Leung began to come under severe criticism in January 2003, when he bought a HK$790,000 (US$101,282) Lexus LS 430 just weeks before he raised the tax on new vehicles in his March budget.

nice eh.