Moving to HK

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to HK

My family will be relocating to HK in the next few months and my husband will be working in Fanling in the New Territories. I would really appreciate some advice on commuting times so we can get an idea where to look for a place to live. My kids are 1 and 4 years old and we would ideally like to be in some form of a community so to meet people and have some facilities around us. I do appreciate it might be a commute for my husband to Fanling, but is it completely unrealistic to be looking at places in discovery bay, stanley, repulse bay, clearwater bay etc or would this be a huge commute? It's just that we don't want to be completely isolated when my husband will probably be working all hours..
    Also incidentally, could anyone answer just out of curiosity if we have a company car and wish to live in discovery bay, how would one get home if they don't let you drive there? Is there somewhere to leave the car before entering or is it the case that noone at all in all of discovery bay has a car? Thank you for any information provided!

No-one in Discovery Bay has a car. In fact very, very few people (far less than 10% of households) in Hong Kong have a car. You really don't need one - the public transport is superb.

I would say that of the places you've listed all except Clearwater Bay would be too far to commute to Fanling.

I'm not sure what you are expecting in terms of "community". Like most big cities, people tend to commune with people they know through work or online or through interest groups. No-one I know communes with people simply because they happen to live near each other.

Last edited by PDLM; 21-08-2009 at 09:25 PM.

DB probably would be the best place for what you are looking for but it's generally accessed by ferry and the commute for your husband would be nasty.

I'd say Sai Kung and Clearwater Bay would be your best bet and the commute by car would be simple. There are a fair number of expats living in those areas and it shouldn't be too difficult to make friends.

from our house in sai kung country park, it takes roughly 35 minutes to drive to fan ling... i would look at sai kung between sai kung town & the park or Sai kung and Ma On Shan...

that would be the best for all. it is not too bad of a commute for hubby & it's a nice community for the family. also, there are schools etc nearby.

Or the villages at Lam Tsuen, or Hong Lok Yuen.

Quote Originally Posted by linis:
    ...but is it completely unrealistic to be looking at places in discovery bay, stanley, repulse bay, clearwater bay etc or would this be a huge commute? It's just that we don't want to be completely isolated when my husband will probably be working all hours..
    If you want to live in those places because you think they sound like nice places to live then fair enough, but you won't be isolated living closer to your husbands job. In fact, places like Sai Kung and Discovery Bay are pretty isolated, both being off the train/metro networks.

I've come here off the back of living in a major capital city (London) for 5 years, and I find Hong Kong Island too much to handle on a regular basis if I'm honest. If all you're worried about is isolation then, places around Fanling are plenty busy enough!

Thanks for info. Would you be able to say how far Clearwater Bay or Sai Kung is from Fanling approximately in terms of timing? Are there any other places you would recommend looking at closer to Fanling where we still would find expats and not be too far away from good schools?
    With community I mean, houses, or townhouses or apts that might be within a gated area or have shared facilities like communal pool, clubhouse etc where you would expect to meet people other than your place of work or other places of interest. I don't know if that is a common way to live in HK, I thought it might be once you get out of Central or Kowloon, but I may be way off the mark?!

Gated communities are probably the way most expats live here I think. And there are plenty around, all over Hong Kong.

As someone else said Hong Lok Yuen is definitely worth checking out, which is between Tai Po and Fanling.

I'm biased as I live in Tai Po, but I would recommend it as the place to try and live in North Territories (around Fanling). One way to look for places, is to actually look at googlemaps, and if you zoom in enough it will tell you the names of gated complexes on the map. You can then look them up on sites like [url=http://www.gohome.com.hk]ݯ

Excellent, thanks for all that. Appreciate the, now I am a bit clearer on where to start looking!

you COULD own a car AND live in DB if you like the feel of the place...there is monthly parking avail. in Tung Chung and DBTSL runs fairly frequent buses in and out of the tunnel...certainly not ideal, and still a brutal commute, but the freedom of having a car outside of work hours may appeal to you.

Fanling is on the East Rail, so you could also look at Kowloon Tong, a major MTR interchange with a fair number of expats, upper middle class to luxury accoms in gated houses as well as apartments, and many many good schools, international and otherwise, nearby. Travel time from Kowloon Tong Station to Fanling is 29 mins according to the journey planner, and the first class car is a comfortable ride...you're also closer to the city for the times you DO want to entertain yourself, and theres a huge mall connected to the Station with a decent supermarket.

You've listed yourself as a teacher. IF you're looking for work, you would likely be spoiled for choice in Kowloon Tong, with an easy commute for yourself.

Last edited by timklip; 21-08-2009 at 10:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast