Best way to sample expat life on Lantau, e.g. Discovery Bay

Closed Thread

Best way to sample expat life on Lantau, e.g. Discovery Bay

Hello HK'ers,

I'm thinking of coming to enjoy HK life for a couple of years before my son starts school and we have to settle down somewhere permanently.

Lantau Island sounds great for kids, greenery and beaches and all that. Can anyone suggest a good way to experience what it's like to really live on the island while visiting for just a week or two? Discovery Bay in particular sounds amazing having no cars, do people cycle around a lot or is that not really the done thing?

Thanks for any pointers,

Max

i suggest you do a search on here for lantau and discovery bay... you'll get dozens of threads.

as for "settling" here for a couple of years... umm you either need HKID (in which case i would have thought you knew a little bit about hk first) or you will need a visa. i'd get that sorted out before you plan on where to live.

Hello,

Getting a visa seems to be very straightforward in my case.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows a good place to stay on Lantau island for a couple of weeks to experience what it would be like to live there? Have read loads of threads on here but not seen anything relevant to that.

homeexchange.com allows you to swap houses with someone for a couple of days/weeks. I've definitely seen at least one super nice discovery bay home on there.

the transportation cost can get quite high.