Moving back to Hong Kong after 12 years!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Moving back to Hong Kong after 12 years!

Hey guys,

1st of all I'd like to say this site rocks! it's good to know I'm not alone. haha I'm new to this forum, just came across it today.

Anyway, my name's Anton and heres my 411 :

I'm 24/m, I grew up in HK, then moved to the Philippines to take my highschool and uni here. I graduated back in 08 in Multimedia Arts. anyway, I decided to finally move back to Hong Kong on Novemember.

I've searched jobs online but none have replied, so i figured going there and setting up interviews would be smarter. I still hold the ROA in Hk, so my visa won't be a problem.

Anyway, I'd just like to ask for any advice tips for moving there(i know there are a lot of posts already..) but a fresh view on things won't hurt anybody.

What should i expect? etc?

any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!

I'm 24/m, I grew up in HK, then moved to the Philippines to take my highschool and uni here. I graduated back in 08 in Multimedia Arts. anyway, I decided to finally move back to Hong Kong on Novemember.
    So you went to Phillipines at the age of 12 and now returning to HK? most people when they say "grew up in HK", I thought they mean they have spent their teens here.

QUOTE]
    I've searched jobs online but none have replied, so i figured going there and setting up interviews would be smarter. I still hold the ROA in Hk, so my visa won't be a problem.[/QUOTE]

You are correct, I have seen many people try to apply for work while being overseas, most usually just end up on the ignore list as they can easily find someone locally to do the job without having to even make a long distance call, that differs if you have a skill set that is rare here and you are applying for that sector.

Anyway, I'd just like to ask for any advice tips for moving there(i know there are a lot of posts already..) but a fresh view on things won't hurt anybody.

What should i expect? etc?
    You need to be more specific, what do you need info on? is it living? education? work? food? what? oh yea, and use search

As for what do you expect... not much has changed in the past 12 years IMHO, I've only been here for 10, economy gone up and down a few times since then, SARs, bird flu, now the "pig" flu, alot of hk'ers .... (i'll keep my comments to myself)...... you should check out bigwhiteguy.com, it's a web "blog" about well, exactly that, a big white guy in HK.

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:

As for what do you expect... not much has changed in the past 12 years IMHO, ....
    Thanks for the help!
    I'm just concerned about getting a job actually. I'm wondering how fast people can find work there.

but other than that, i expect going back to Hong Kong to be lots of fun!

haha thanks again!

Last edited by Star Gazer; 14-10-2009 at 11:29 PM.

Hey therubanchild,

I'm on the exact same boat as you lol
    I'm moving to HK this Nov and I'm a multimedia designer too! What are the chances of that!?

Where are you gonna be based? and have you got Facebook? I think it be cool to keep in touch since we both be going for the same type of jobs.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Li:
    Hey therubanchild,

I'm on the exact same boat as you lol
    I'm moving to HK this Nov and I'm a multimedia designer too! What are the chances of that!?

Where are you gonna be based? and have you got Facebook? I think it be cool to keep in touch since we both be going for the same type of jobs.

Jon
    hey man,

what are the chances of that? haha how's your job hunt coming along? where ya from buddy?

I'll pm you my info, I'll be based in Sai Kung? where the old airport was.

Yo man,

Got your PM and added you on FB.

Sai Kung? Old airport? Wasn't the airport in Kowloon somewhere?
    Anyways when do you get in?

jodsdb.com is a good website to get a job, I got a job from there with 1 week

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfire:
    1 week! thats pretty fast! Are you in design too friendlyfire?
    I've been looking up jobsdb and I did notice theres a few jobs going about but the downside is none of them state the salary. Any ideas on what to expect with 1-2 years experience in Graphic Design? Don't want to be over/under selling myself.

J

Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfire:
    lucky you! i've been emailing jobs that i found from jobsdb for months now, still havent heard from any of them. I figure it'll be easier once I'm there.

What job did you land friendlyfire?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast