moving to HK from UK

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

moving to HK from UK

Hi there

Our family is moving to HK in Jan 2010. We have never lived abroad before and are wondering what things would be good to take.

Is there anything that you really miss having or find difficult to get hold of, or is very expensive that we should bring over?

Am size 12 and have heard it's worth bringing out clothes as larger sizes hard to come by - is this the case?

Also - with the humidity do leather sofas go mouldy?!

Strange questions I know but we don't know anyone who lives out there to ask!

Thanks

Josbie

There are loads of things you cant get but nothing that is a problem- just little things like orange squash which are hard to track down.

Clothes not a massive issue as there are lots of shops that do sell clothes in western sizes, including chains such as Zara, Mango and M&S. I am a 10/12 and find loads of stuff to buy (too much if I'm honest). Shoes are a bit more problematic if you're over a UK size 6. You can get them but not in every shop/ style so I'd stock up before you come.

If you are sporty, finding gym kit can be a bit of a nightmare as in Nike/ Adidas etc it is all tiny and comes with padded bra bits in the tops (bizarre). I find the outlet malls are the only place to find sportswear that fits me.

Sofa- no idea but most people buy dehumidifiers.

Thanks - really useful advice - shoe and sportswear shopping here I come!

orange squash is easy to find isn't it - see robinsons everywhere.

lots of things are expensive or are not sold over here e.g. geniuine western bread that does not have butter, eggs and sugar in. if you want warburtons then one of the expat supermarkets sell it for about 3.50 pounds per loaf. you may or may not find that expensive.

also, forget tasting milk as you know it - milk in hk is no where near the same standard, even the pura brand is not the same as the white stuff in the uk.

sorry - realised you were looking for ADVICE.

well i suggest stocking up on veet warm wax if you use that - they only seem to sell strips here.

Clothes arent an issue really you can get most things...the main problem i have is lingerie! If you are above a D (sometimes even a C cup) you may have problems trying to get hold of the stuff! Stock up while you can!

i moved to HK from the Uk as well. been living here for a year. don't really see a problem about getting stuff.
    i suppose just the little things like taxi bars, creamy coleslaw and the nice yogurts, milk as well someone has mentioned. but don't really expect you to cart them over! It wouldn't last a day in the heat over here anyway.
    so maybe you can eat those sort of foods as much as you can before you fly over lol
    besides that, HK does a great selection of foods and brands.

i suppose you could stock up on lingerie because women here are so tiny and their chests are next to nothing (of course i don't mean ALL chinese women here!!). It makes it that wee bit more difficult to buy bras if you're a double anything!! Or even an E cup!! D cup you might just get by if you go to those bigger department stores.

clothes wise, they have H&M, Mango, M&S here as well. I can never get anything from the smaller boutiques that the tiny chinese women goes to.

Hi guys, i am planning to move to HK from the UK as well. i wonder if you folks know of any companies here in the UK (living in Scotland) that can ship my stuff reasonably cheap? cheers for that!

Quote Originally Posted by josbie:
    Is there anything that you really miss having or find difficult to get hold of, or is very expensive that we should bring over?
    I agree with milk too, you *will* miss real milk!

If you're thinking of buying any small electronics it's worth checking the UK and HK prices as I found (for example) shaver was £65 in the UK and £90 in HK. There are only a few major electronics shops and they all standardise their price. If you like M&S clothes then it's worth stocking up in the UK as prices are 2-3x more expensive in HK.

All my other suggestions are food! Branston pickle is expensive, Cadbury is Aus version which tastes totally different. I guess you probably won't want to arrive with a cartload of perishables though!

Best of luck with your move

We are moving to HK in the coming summer as well and we are looking at Seven Seas shipping which offers quite good price (door to port). In HK, you can easily drive to the terminal (port) and pick your boxes up, and it is so much cheaper than ship door to door. Check it online.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast