Cheap apartment without roaches? Possible?

Cool Cheap apartment without roaches? Possible?

Hi everyone,

I have a budget of HKD 5K per month and am looking for an apartment in HK (I will work in Central). Right now, I'm renting a room for 4K, but I feel overcharged and would like my own place or at least to rent as a roomate not as a border. I know it is possible to get a 套房 room for as low as 2K on Hong Kong Island, but I'm looking for both affordability and VALUE. I have seen a lot of apartments so far (most above 5k) and I am sure most of the older ones are infested (my biggest concern to be honest-more important than size, convenience). Any ideas for the best areas to look for cheap apartments with a minimum number of roaches (YES, I know they are EVERYWHERE)?

Thanks a lot

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Roaches are everywhere and they do seem to enjoy congregating in empty spaces, "going out" to eat. You can minimise their numbers yourself. We don't have roaches in our place because we take precautions. It's up to you whether you want to keep them out or not.

P.S. Never eat out in Hong Kong because the chances are high that the restaurant's kitchen will have roaches.

roaches come with the climate. that's just the way it is. we rarely have them (that we see).... roaches do not necessarily mean unclean in hk...

ex. our kitchen is on the ground floor. our master bath is on the 2nd floor... there was a roach in our tub the other day.... our bathroom is cleaned every day. the roach being present doesn't mean our house is dirty... it means we are in a sub-tropical climate and it's perfect for them.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Roaches don't like clean places with no food sources.

Carang, the fact that you had only one shows I think you had a scout, not an infestation.

a roach can live eating their own excrement... and often they do. that's why they can be found in empty flats (not a lot of "food" in an empty flat).

forgot to say, we also leave our garden door open for the most part of every day (probably about 19 hours/day, unless it's raining) and we still don't get many roaches...

(scout? thank god... hate roaches myself...they move so fast!)

steer away from very old buildings that are not properly maintained (plenty in causeway bay)

It's the flying ones you wanna watch out for

I live in a cheap flat (not village flat) in your budget and have never seen a roach once. I think there's a large element of luck involved, but keeping a clean kitchen probably helps. When I moved in I kept the kitchen anally clean to avoid things like that, but over the months I've eased up.... a lot... and still none.

follow up

Thanks everyone. Any ideas now on which areas in HK to look for an apartment. I am wondering about Shau Kei Wan, Sai Wan Ho, Chai Wan etc. Thanks a lot!!

With 5k to spend I would be looking at the New Territories.

I don't know much about HK Island rental prices, but whatever the situation you'll get more for your money in the N.Ts. With your budget as it is, you really want to get the best you can.