Planning to Move to HK with My Dog! Please Help!

Closed Thread

Planning to Move to HK with My Dog! Please Help!

I am planning to move back to HK from New York in Jan. 2010. I have a 6-yr old Wheaten Terrier that weights 32 lbs. Could someone please tell me what is the best way to move my dog from NYC to HK? Would you recommend putting him in the cargo area in the same flight as I am traveling? I am worried about the 15 hours of flights time would be too long for my dog since he will be in a cage.

Hi calp111

I don't have experience moving a dog to HK personally, but there should be plenty on this forum who do. If you don't get much response you might want to try posting this under the pet owners section - and I think under that section you'll find similar threads.

My advice would be to talk to your vet about how your dog would cope with the long flight, and talk to a good pet relocation agent as well. I think it's worth paying the money to make sure your dog is in good hands.

You might also like to visit my website woofguides.com - A guide to Hong Kong for dogs produced for you & your dog by animalsinphotos . My husband and I have just published a guide to HK for dogs and their owners - you can order it online and we'll ship to the US for free - you'll find everything you wanted to know in there so that you and your dog can get the most out of your life together in HK.

Good luck with the move!

Try this thread - it seems to have good and recent links.

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread45239.html

Hi there,

I also got the same problem, I want to send my pet from Japan to HK too...

I moved my Chihuahua from Taiwan to Hong Kong about 2 years ago. Here's the government website for importing animals.

I don't guess it was that complicated. You have to fill out some forms of course and some vet visits. The most frustrating thing for me was trying to find the damn place to pick up my little baby. It took me 2 hours after arrival to finally find the right building.

I was able to put him on the same flight as me in the cargo area. I still remember his scared little face though when I left him with the airline people.

Of course your situation is a bitter different since its a much larger dog and a much longer flight. You should definitely consult your vet about it.

The only way you can bring your dog to Hong Kong is as cargo, unless you have a very very good reason for an exception.

Last year we brought our two dogs from the States using Continental. They took a flight to NY for a layover (they were let out and walked) and then came staight to HK. They did good, but I would not want to leave them at HK cargo depot for too long. The place is noisey. Continental and Cathy Pacific are both highly recommended. Reserve your space ahead of time.

Hong Kong rules are pretty strict so do read all the instructions, print them out so you can refer to them later (including the maps), and be prepared for a lot of running around once you get to the HK airport. Follow the recommendations listed and your dog should be okay.

If you have the time and patients you can do everything yourself and save some money. Put together a check list and plan everything out.

Thanks for all the advice! I will consult with my vet about the long haul flight and check out the websites that are provided from you all. Thanks again!