TV compatibility - NTSC/PAL

Closed Thread

TV compatibility - NTSC/PAL

Dear all,

I understand that my US HD TVs will have some issues when I move to HK (planning to move early next year), and I would like to ask current residents that possibly faced the same issue the following:

- the power voltage and frequency is different but I can buy a transformer that can fix this issue, right?

- the main issue is that the tv works with the USA system (NTSC/HD system) and I know HK is PAL system. My question is: sometimes, cable company's box sets allow you to chose the output from the box (if PAL or NTSC). Does anybody know if this is the case with Now tv or any other cable company? Has anybody else had this problem? Where you able to fix it somehow or you had to buy a new tv?

I appreciate any insights since I have 3 tvs here and would be helpful if I could avoid selling them (2 of them are brand new).

Many thanks,

Alecarne

Sell them and buy new here - everyone else does.

Thanks for the tip. This is the obvious one, but after just buying 2 brand new tvs I was wondering if there were other solutions. Anyway, do you know any website where I can check tv prices that are not in Cantonese? I cannot find anything in English.
    tks

Many more modern TVs can display PAL and NTSC. You might want to look at the manual and see if that is the case with the one you bought.

p.s. http://www.fortress.com.hk/ Click on the ENG at the top for English.

Last edited by penguinsix; 19-11-2009 at 02:17 AM.

Thanks, penguinsix.

Unfortunately, I have checked mine already and in the US usually things are not produced to have mobility.

Sometimes, cable companies offer this feature (where you can chose the output of the signal to NTSC) on it's boxes, that's why I posted the question originally.

I will check the store! Many thanks.