35k Salary Adequate?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

35k Salary Adequate?

I have just been offered a job from Cathay Pacific. However, it has been told that the salary terms and structure will strictly be on local terms and NOT expat terms. That means no housing allowance and maybe no moving allowance also. The amount is HKD35000. Since the CX city is near the airport, i would assume staying in Discovery Bay or Tsing Yi. Considering i would have to pay rent on my own and will be given only the basic local salary package (sual allowance like meals, discounts etc), would 35k be enough. My wife will also be moving with me and she will be on dependent pass. Will really appreciate any help.

Have a great day

35k per month or year?
    35K per year is awfully low....
    35K per month is fine. Your wife could always tutor or get something small on side to bring in a lil extra cash, but it should be fine at an average lifestyle.

You really do want to push it to 45-50K to get into a decent comfort zone.

my friend was brough in with cathay and they get a allowance for a great place on old peak road and a really good salary etc - so I would defo push for more as there are plenty of people getting a fair wack!

It's all depending your living style. However, I believe the rent at Discovery Bay is between HK$8,000 and HK$15,000.

Also, it depends on what role Cathy Pacific has offered you. Make sure you are not ripped off!

Quote Originally Posted by new_in_hk:
    I have just been offered a job from Cathay Pacific. However, it has been told that the salary terms and structure will strictly be on local terms and NOT expat terms. That means no housing allowance and maybe no moving allowance also. The amount is HKD35000. Since the CX city is near the airport, i would assume staying in Discovery Bay or Tsing Yi. Considering i would have to pay rent on my own and will be given only the basic local salary package (sual allowance like meals, discounts etc), would 35k be enough. My wife will also be moving with me and she will be on dependent pass. Will really appreciate any help.

Have a great day

Thanks all..
    Reading from all the posts here, even i thought 35k may just not be enough, tho its correctly said that it all depends on the lifestyle. Maybe i will have to haggle a bit with Cathay people abt a House allowance to be on the safe side. I would give up all other allowances to trade with a house allowance cos the rentals here are quite high, otherwise it will take a huge chunk of my salary. A sa result moving all the way may not be worth it. I am looking to finally settle in HK. My wife has been working but she will have to come to HK on Dependant Pass because there is no job offer for her yet. Its much better if we both earn to have a good collective income. I would assume getting a marketing/sales job is tough in HK because the least requirement is that you need to understand and speak cantonese.

35K is enough to live a moderate lifestyle.

i am making just shy of 35/month and i am getting by just fine. I eat out, i shop, i venture, etc etc etc...

i should note that i too am not getting any of the traditional ex-pat benefits...but i am doing just fine

35K is fine, but you should really push for 45-50, since they arent paying for your housing

Depends on many things:
    - your age
    - your experience
    - your level in the company
    - your marital status: married, Single, married with kids
    - your current lifestyle...

What is adequate to one is not necessarly adequate to another. Some live well in HK with 30.000 (single, few experience, still young) while some with struggle with the same amount (20 years experience, 2kids, a mortgage..)

So honestly 35.000 is not bad, for sure I would also try to push it to 40.000 as suggested by KIA, you lose nothing trying...

Very few ppl remain on real attractive Expat package nowadays...

just a thought, Is your wife a native english speaker by any chance?
    If so then she could earn money by becomeing a tefl teacher, 40 hr course online and then she can easily get a work permit within 4-6 weeks of qualifying.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast