Needing help with HK salary!!

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Do you know if people require English lessons on Lanau Island or is it mainly in central Hong Kong? Where did you travel to teach, or did you hold lessons at home?

teaching privately usually entails travelling to the students' homes. english teachers are needed all over hong kong.

Ok great, thanks for the info. Things are looking up

i will say, though, that there are some areas that will have more students. generally speaking, wealthier folks tend to live on hk island. as such, there are many more on the island that will pay $400/hour without question.

you need to be careful how you schedule your students in order to maximise your teaching hours and minimise your travel time & expenses.

Ok I'll have to sit down and have a think about it if offers arise. I really only want to teach on Saturday though, is it possible for night classes too? Say after 8pm? It's hard for me to judge having never been to HK...

Minet

I have a few friends who do private tutoring in HK, and they never seem to be short of students at the times people aren't at work / school. I'm sure you'd find students for after 8pm and on Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Unless you know the employer very well, I would not advise you to do this... It is illegal although it's unlikely you would get caught, you could be refused entry at any time which could be inconvenient at best and you would have no recourse whatsoever against your employer in any dispute.

You'd be much better to do this in Europe or North America...
    I agree. Your "job situation" sounds really dodgy.

HK is expensive. Shame you can't check this place out before you make a commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Raccon

I don't think that bit about having to leave the country is true - if you lose your job you can stay until your visa expires, but of course you can't work. A friend was in this position recently - had quit her job before she even went to get her HKID. She told Immigration what had happened and they said that was fine, they would still issue her an HKID. I don't think they'd have done that if she'd had 7 days to get out?
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    What Beanieskies says is correct - if you have an Employment Visa then you can reside in HK until that visa expires, even if you lose your job in the meantime.

(It's different for FDHs who must leave within 14 days)
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Minet:
    Ok I'll have to sit down and have a think about it if offers arise. I really only want to teach on Saturday though, is it possible for night classes too? Say after 8pm? It's hard for me to judge having never been to HK...
    But again. back to the original question - what visa can you get to do this? The answer is none. This would all be totally illegal.

Aghh..... ok I I'm going to apply for the Aus Working Holiday Visa and change employers every 3 months (so maybe I will apply for schools and change throughout the year). I'm sure all will be ok.

Thank you all for the help peeps.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast