Like Tree2Likes

US to HK with Teenagers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Also moving with a teen

This was great advice for me too! My 13yo 8th grader (coming to HKIS High) is a wreck about moving. Hearing that the relations made here are more impactful than relations back in US is really good news. She has been SO worried that everyone will have international experience and she won't. We are visiting the school and the area apts in March. Any additional advice or suggestions of places to take her to ease her mind?

Make sure she's up on her bible studies. From the HKIS website:

Students see hear and experience Christianity in curriculum, surroundings, school events and Christian worship. Students can articulate their understanding of the Christian faith.
    It doesn't really sound like the best place for rational thought, does it? I suspect that pointing out that one's understanding of the "Christian faith" is that it's a load of irrational superstitious nonsense which does far more harm than good in an increasingly rational world, wouldn't go down too well.
    Last edited by PDLM; 27-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
    rani likes this.

California now but in summer of 2010 moving to Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by froggytlc:
    ...Any additional advice or suggestions of places to take her to ease her mind?
    The School is very nice. Certainly the best facilities of the schools we toured. Students actually give the tour. Just so happens that the Director of admissions spent some time in my home town in the US. Small world.

As for the religious side, it was founded by a Lutheran group. Part of the mission statement is "An American-style education grounded in the Christian faith and respecting the spiritual lives of all."

Take her to Stanley Market and maybe Ocean Park. Good high end shopping in Central too. Oh, and ride the tram to the Peak!

California now but in summer of 2010 moving to Hong Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I suspect that pointing out that one's understanding of the "Christian faith" is that it's a load of irrational superstitious nonsense which does far more harm than good in an increasingly rational world, wouldn't go down too well.

Yeah, probably not the best opener.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    in an increasingly rational world
    Wouldn't that be nice if it were true..........not what I think every time I look at the news or read the paper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2