Like Tree2Likes

US to HK with Teenagers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

California now but in summer of 2010 moving to Hong Kong

US to HK with Teenagers

I have so many questions and this board seems the most informed of all that I've looked at. Looks like we'll be moving some time this summer, probably before school starts. the family is me (stay at home Dad), my (wife the bread winner), my son (the 15 yo rising sophomore), and my 12 yo daughter (the baby).

It's my son that is having the hardest time getting his hands around this. I'm sure he'll be fine once we get settled but for now, i'm doing everything i can to prepare for that transition.

I won't have a car, unless it proves absolutely necessary and my wife will likely be travelling quite a bit to start. We'll probably be living on HKI, south side near Tai Tam bay or close by since that's where their school is.

So, what do the teenagers do and where do they hang out? is it safe enough for my son to go to the movies, malls, or wherever, with his new friends with out me tagging along? are there areas that he should avoid?

Thanks in advance for any input. also, if anyone has made the move with teenagers, and has any advice, I would treasure your thoughts.

I don't have my family in HK but I can say that HK is one of the safest places to go about your daily and family life of any city in the world.

Teens are safe and the malls, movies etc are safe. If you are expats you'd likely find the teen hanging out with school friends and from what I see of teens around HK they are just like western normal teens the world over.

Of course, you can't be naive about your children as you still see stories in the media like everywhere kids can be victimized by adult sexual predators but just traveling around HK on buses, etc is safe. My sense is that there is more danger in road transportation than walking the streets and hanging out.

There is lots to do in HK from sports to outdoor activities like hiking, camping etc and local camping from what I have seen is what the campers can carry on the bus.

Parents of teens there would be better to answer other parts of your question.

HK is one of the safest cities in the world. There really isnt much to worry about a 15 year old, unless he hooks up with the wrong crowd.
    He should make friends quickly as his classmates will be mostly in the same boat as him. I assume he will be going to HKIS as you mention TaiTam - there will be many like him in the school.

If you are not going to get a car, I would suggest that you look somewhere else besides TaiTam for living. Its a bit isolated and with relatively limited public transport. Happy Valley or Mid Levels would be my choice. Yes, these would be further from the school but he can catch the school bus daily and the whole family would be closer to all the ammenities and activities.

Good Luck,
    HC

It's as safe a place as you could get to really. There is though a drug issue to be aware of. Amongst local teenagers the use of ketamine and meth are not unknown even in some high schools & amongst the richer brat international schools there is some more expensive drug use. Still if you have a goods relationship with your kids then making them aware that the stuff is out there and they may face some peer group 'pressure' should be sufficient.

Very little chance of violence - a little chance if your kids try to go out clubbing n such under-age. But basically safe as housesand your kidswill be very safe.

There are strong expat communities and many pats and their kids are very familiar with the expat life of having to make friends one minute and having friends leave with little notice; so there tends to bea lot of empathy and sympathy for the situation you'll find yourself in. There are also loads of clubs and boards such as this where you and your children will be able to meet up with other 'pats and locals with similar interests. Best thing to do is pile in to the social scene as soon as possible.

Last edited by Load Toad; 08-01-2010 at 01:48 PM.
    shri likes this.

i think it must be safe, as i never see any crime and i do see primary students taking ferries/busses/walking all over the city to and from school by themselves. yet back home my aunt wont allow her 13 year old kid to walk to the bus stop alone.

Great feedback. Thanks. So what do the teenagers do for a good time?

Drugs, drinking, sex - the usual ;-)

Have seen the HKIS teenagers on Repulse Bay beach on Friday nights. Lots of drinking.

your kids should have very little trouble fitting in.

my aunt, uncle and their two, then 15 yr old, twins moved to hk 12 years ago. both went to King George V school in kowloon, but it took them all of a week to meet new friends and start having fun. what they loved about it was that it was an adventure for them. no one else that they knew in canada had ever done anything like pick up and move 1/2 around the world. they enjoyed the new culture, new experiences, new school... it was a chance to start fresh.

they also LOVED the fact that school field trips were no longer to a museum, but to places like: nepal, vietnam, england, israel etc. they have now both finished university, one went to england and one to australia. they still keep in touch with friends they grew up with, but discovered very quickly that they don't have very many experiences in common anymore. they have much more in common with those people that they met here.

just try to get your son to have an open mind about it all and he should have a great time.

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Drugs, drinking, sex - the usual ;-)

actually, that's what i figured. well, you know the apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast