Cost of Living in HK - another perspective (and question!)

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

most things in hk are cheaper than london (e.g. food, clothing, transport, electronics, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by PJJ:
    To be precise, our son will turn 18 in mid April, which is when my company want me to start in HK, so I would expect them to organise for Visas for the family before that, i.e. before we arrive in HK. It's going to be a bit more complicated, though: he has to finish his A-level exams still in the UK, so effectively could join us in HK in June/July... But in essence, Dependant Visa is what we would be seeking for our son.
    If this is key to your coming then I feel you need to start talking to Immigration to determine if it will work. Visas must be activated by entering HK within 90 days of the date of granting, and I'm not at all sure whether the "under 18" applies to the date of application, the date of granting or the date of activation.

Other options depend on what your son intends to do next. If he's off to Uni in the UK then he shouldn't have any problem just coming to HK on Visitor Visas during the holidays. With a UK passport you get 180 days each entry.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    most things in hk are cheaper than london (e.g. food, clothing, transport, electronics, etc.)
    Agreed - excluding accommodation & school fees, and assuming you don't insist on having the exact same brands of things and are happy to do a few things the local way, then the cost of living in HK is lower than in London certainly, and probably all the rest of the UK. Remember also that the tax here is dramatically lower (max 15% + HK$1000/month for MPF).

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Agreed - excluding accommodation & school fees, and assuming you don't insist on having the exact same brands of things and are happy to do a few things the local way, then the cost of living in HK is lower than in London certainly, and probably all the rest of the UK. Remember also that the tax here is dramatically lower (max 15% + HK$1000/month for MPF).
    Add to accommodation and school fees, drinking out.

I don't find drinking out here significantly more expensive than London. But then I choose places that sell beer for $40 or less, not the $60+ of LKF/Wyndham. Wine is much the same price (except French, which is over-priced here).

PDLM, cookie09, hullexile

Thanks so much for all your valuable comments! :-) I'm trying to think about what's left after tax, after accommodation and after schools have all been paid. If it's less expensive than in London, then - logically - we should be fine if left with similar 'pocket money' to what we have here in the UK (i.e. similar using the exchange rate), right?

Yes, correct - after those three I'd say it's certainly no more expensive than London, and could well be somewhat less, depending on how you choose to live.