Education in Hong Kong for kids ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Private/International schooling in HK is no more expensive than in Australia unless you take the Catholic school route in Australia.

We're still deciding between the AIS and ESF.
    My child attends the kinder and I can't speak highly enough of it.
    That is not to say there no glitches in the system. The class size is larger in ESF. Most of the kids in our neighbourhood attend an ESF school and the parents have helped us in our decision - kid's behaviour too. We are leaning towards ESF as the kids seem happier and more polite. Parents were more down to earth. It fits our needs.

I would say, if you're from Sydney, think of going to SCEGS or Sydney Grammar or Melbourne - Melb Ladies College, Korowa or Wesley... I don't think it's any cheaper. I know that our child would have attended a private school in Australia so we aren't whinging about the costs and opportunities of private/international education here. All private school kids in Australia require a laptop now unless you're in Scotch College unless they've changed their policy.

Unless, you're a parent who's set even in your home country to send your kid to a local primary school, it would seem HEAPS MORE expensive. And, would have a lot of issues with how expensive education is in HK.

I am aware though that there is no PERFECT solution in HK. It just depends on the parents. The are good local school options. PM me and I'll send you a few recommendations (not the ridiculously hard to get in schools)!

Just noticed that you're from QLD - just a comparison. We had a friend who taught and his kid was enrolled in Brisbane Boys (The private school)... i can't recall now if it's called Brisbane Grammar or Brisbane Boys but it is the private school near UQ.

He came to work at Shatin College and his boy attended Shatin Junior then College. And he said it was just as good if not better.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    hey, i'm all for experiencing other cultures and i agree whole-heartedly that travelling the world is a wonderful experience that should also be educationaly.

my only point is that although the trips are not "mandatory" how would your child feel being the ONLY child in the class not going? i know if it was me, i would not be too happy about that.

at more than $10k a pop, it ain't cheap to "keep up with the jones's"
    Quite agree - also I feel sometimes ESF tries to keep up with the International Schools too much - I'd rather it concentrated on a reasonably priced education. It's heading so you'll need a sweet expat package to pay for it.

for the past 15 years, i assumed that when it came time for me to have kids and they'd be of school age, they would go to esf.

well, not anymore. my kids are going local (at least for primary to start). we just cannot see our way to earning an extral $8k/month for each of the kids' schooling. it just ain't going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    for the past 15 years, i assumed that when it came time for me to have kids and they'd be of school age, they would go to esf.

well, not anymore. my kids are going local (at least for primary to start). we just cannot see our way to earning an extral $8k/month for each of the kids' schooling. it just ain't going to happen.
    Yes I am thinking the same. In fact when my contract is up in 2 and a half years this may well be the thing that swings it as to whether I stay here or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3