Education in Hong Kong for kids ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Education in Hong Kong for kids ?

HI - we are looking at the possibility of moving to HK from Australia with my husbands job -the company dont' seem to offer much in the way of assistance for schooling and looking at the pricing of some of the international schools we would need to budget for $40k Aussie per year. Obviously reflects in a better salary but not sure by that much and if it's worth it. Does anyone home school ...can it be done with a curriculum from Australia. I'm not sure if I'm the home schooling type (3 pretty boisterous boys at 6/8/12 years) but guess if we can save that sort of money it may be worth it. Does anyone have experience in this and is there support. Would there be enough to do for kids as they live a pretty outdoorsy life here in QLD.
    Thanks any opinions would be great.

Cheers

Thanks very much - appreciate the posting.

In case home schooling doesn't work out, here is the SCMP Schools Guide. This will cover most of your other options:
    Latest Hong Kong, China & World News | SCMP.com

The Australian school in Kowloon Tong charges HK$92k tuition fees + $12k capitial levy + around $10-12k in bus fares per kid per year. It's not a cheap option.

A better option (if you dont want to home school) will be to look at the government subsidised english schools (known as ESF). They charge around $50k or $60k without any other levy's or debentures, but this maybe does not cover textbooks and excursions that the Australian school fee does.

ESF gives priority to those who cannot speak Cantonese and cannot go to a local school.

Home | English Schools Foundation

ESF primary works around nearly 6K a month, the secondary is nearly 9K a month. From 2011 August there will be a levy of 25K dollars for new students or students going from primary to secondary esf schools. You will get the money back when your kids leave school. We don't pay for text books but pay a lot for camps etc in Primary. In secondary we need to pay for the text books for the second language. However this is for Island School, I don't know about the other esf secondary schools. They are all run differently, different start times, school ending etc. Only the holidays are the same for all esf schools.

Last edited by shai; 14-01-2010 at 01:56 PM. Reason: forgot to add details

Add to that 9K a month having to buy a lap top (7k), transport (1K/pm) and school trips.

Thank you everyone... Looks like the ESF schools might be the way to go - now just have to navigate where to live and whether or not there's a space at the school that's in the "zone" ...it's a mine field of information!

Quote Originally Posted by Load Toad:
    Add to that 9K a month having to buy a lap top (7k), transport (1K/pm) and school trips.
    Why would you need a monthly lap top?

hongkongbound--pay strict attention to the deadlines. Miss those and you are out of luck and looking for somewhere else to go.

If you read it correctly I said 7k not 7k / pm.

All the kids have to have a lap top and the parents have to pay for it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast