Like Tree12Likes

Native Texan moving to Hong Kong

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Just one addition to the daughter driving question keep in mind the minimum age to get a drivers license is 18. So if she is 13 now and you stay 4 years, she will not be old enough to get a license.
    Yup, she won't even be able to get a learner's license (permit) until she's 18. She could learn to drive back in TX and get her license there if she really wanted to. It's also a heck of a lot easier getting your license in the US than it is here.
    froggytlc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by froggytlc:
    I know she won't be driving for a while, but SHE is the one who has figured out that she will "come of age" for Texas driving during the stint here! I assumed it was better to do it at home...
    Also worth remembering is that in HK you can only have lessons with registered driving instructors. In the UK, not sure about the States, any learner with a provisional licence can drive a car if a full licence holder is sitting with them. This then gives the learner that much needed practical experience of being "behind the wheel". If you rely on driving schools here to get that experience it could work out to be quite expensive.

[QUOTE=froggytlc;527869]So...

I have spent 5 wks in Hong Kong and my husband has now lived there 1 year. My 13yo and I will be moving in August. She will attend HKIS High School, but I have some questions:
    1) American movies, how does that work?
    you'll get most of the popular ones here- some of the not so big budget/wellknown may still get here, just a few weeks later.

3) What are the unlimited texting possibilities for HK to US?
    get blackberry for the messenger. doesn't allow texting to us phones, but it allows unlimited messaging to other blackberry users. or just use msn on the phone

6) What about medicines? Do I need to ship to HK or are they comparable there?
    most medicines are availible here- though the laws are a little different. for example- want to get aleve? you'll need a prescription, but want to get birth control pills- it's OTC. i'd say, best to ship the drugs you prefer/like. when it comes to cold medicines, i'd say the US has a wide selection and variety containing diff. amts of meds to counteract varying degrees of symptoms. here it's basically one size fits all.

7) Orthodontists...do they have them?
    yes

8) What about my cat...?
    won't be eaten. assuming your husbands expat pkg includes movers, then they should also be able to take care of pets

11) Is it better to hire/share a permanent driver or use taxis/mass transit?
    depends- if you have the cash, go for a driver. that being said, 95% of the time taxis is my primary form of transport, and only during the rainiest of seasons or if i'm trying to get from sai kung back to central on a sunday afternoon will it be tough for me to find a cab.

13) What about the 35 day tax rule? Anyone have suggestions about the best way to qualify as someone who can get this tax benefit?
    35 day tax rule? are you talking about the bonafide residence test so that you qualify for the tax 'break' on the first 90k (or so) of salary? easy- have the accountant state you weren't in the US for mroe than 35 days in a 365 day period

froggytlc likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by campas12:
    8) What about my cat...?
    won't be eaten.
    froggytlc likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3