First things to do after arrival in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First things to do after arrival in HK

Hi all, I am trying to come up with a list of things that I need to do once I arrive in HK before I start work. I am a single guy so no kids or other family commitments. I've gotten my serviced apartment already so here's my list:

- Set up bank account and get credit card (what do I need to show as proof to get credit card? will letter of employment with salary information do?)
    - Get mobile phone (what provider would you recommend?)
    - Buy groceries for first couple of days

I can't think of anything else and my list is really short. Am I missing anything?

Look to meet some new friends

When I set my bank account Hang Seng (use HSBC instead) wanted a copy of a bill like for my mobile showing my address back in Canada. They wanted an original bill.

If you're going to be using public transport, buy an Octopus card to save you looking for change/buying tickets for each trip. You can then link this to a HK credit card so that value is automatically added to it. You can survive without one of course, but it's more convenient to have one.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Get an ID card (you can make an appointment online). You need an ID card for everything in HK and it takes a few weeks to go from the temporary one to the plastic one.

Yes, get an ID card asap, but you can still open a bank account, get a mobile phone contract, etc. just with a passport, so you don't have to wait for that to get started with everything else.

Re mobile phones, you can buy a cheap pay as you go sim card to get yourself telephonically started and then look around for the best deal for you. Most companies will let you keep your number when you switch to one of their plans.

Just beware on the credit card. Some people have been having some problems setting one up at all or with a credit limit sufficient to cover corporate expenses if you will be traveling a lot on business

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread64587.html

Keep the one at home until you are sorted out here.

Yes get a HKID first. You will get the ID number instantly on a temporary paper version. The permanent card with have the same number.

This number is used for everything in HK. Yes, you may be able to open a bank account and some things with only a passport. But still I think it is better to get the HKID first and use that rather than passport if possible. It just shows you are actually resident here.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    Yes get a HKID first. You will get the ID number instantly on a temporary paper version. The permanent card with have the same number.

This number is used for everything in HK. Yes, you may be able to open a bank account and some things with only a passport. But still I think it is better to get the HKID first and use that rather than passport if possible. It just shows you are actually resident here.
    Thank you all! Where do I apply for the HK ID card? Is there a website link that you can point me to?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Information (documents needed) and link to online booking system:
    GovHK: Online Appointment Booking for Hong Kong Smart Identity Card

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast