where to live and pre school locations

Closed Thread

where to live and pre school locations

Hi

My wife, son (3 year old) and i are considering a move to Hong kong. We currently live in the UK but spent the last 3 years on an expat assignment in Romania
    We've had are 1st visit to Hong Kong for a look around and are still keen.
    Of the area's we've seen the south side of Hong kong Island is most appealing ( obviously to everyone else as well, as it translates in the cost of apartments)
    The relaxed atmosphere, sea and out of the way lifestyle stood out, and as i'm not tied to a specific office location ( more likely to need airport or china ferry terminals in central) commute in not an issue.

My question is about where to live outside of the hustle and bustle of central, mid levels kowloon for the best access to preschools, yet still benefit from the above atmosphere

Also Package is yet to be confirmed so whats my min budget i need to negotiate to get a 3 bed in said locations
    Any advice would be appreciated

Discovery Bay is a lovely place to live with a 3yo. There are kindergartens in the plaza and you should not have a problem getting in the afternoon class (morning class has a bit of a waiting list).

But unfortunately, the primary schools in DB have massive waiting lists and it will be very hard to get a place in year one even in a couple of years from now. But you might get lucky.

We are also thinking of moving to HK and have a 3 yr old. Would be interesting to hear if you did move and how things went with the place to live and the kindergarten etc......

Thanks for the info BDW,

How much should we expect to pay (rental) for a reasonably sized 3 Bed in DB? Are there plenty of options at present?

If the Schooling might be an issue would you have any other recommendations?

DCOLES 71, I'll keep you posted

DB varies a lot in price. But generally it is cheaper than anywhere on HK Island or Kowloon. A 3 bed place should be anywhere from 15k up to very very expensive places with private gardens, beachside, seaview, etc. There are a number of agents in the plaza.

You also mention airport and china ferry as being places you would need to commute to. DB has a 24 hour bus to the airport and it only takes 20 minutes. It also has a 24 hour ferry to central pier 3 which is just a few piers across from the China ferry pier. Its a 30 minute comfortable ferry ride that is much nicer than MTR or bus.

If your son is only 3 now, then you can probably move to DB and go straight to one of the kindergartens and you will be fine for a couple of years. But as soon as you get here, you will need to get to work on the primary schools and join waiting lists etc. In a couple of years, then you might have to move to HK or Kowloon side if there is no opening in a DB school.

Thats exactly what I did. I moved to HK (to DB) in 2008 when my son was 3. Now he is 5 and we could not get into the school in DB so I moved to Kowloon. My son is going to the Australian school. He just started this week and so far loving it.

>> preschools

I'd recommend asking the same question again on Hong Kong Baby, Pregnancy and Parenting Community - For Parents and Hong Kong Babies. You'll benefit from the experience of many parents of younger kids.