Working Holiday Visa - Basic Jobs

Closed Thread

Working Holiday Visa - Basic Jobs

Hey All,

I am considering taking advantage of the HK working holiday visa program, my main concern is what employment I could gain.

I do not have a Bachelors degree, however I do have a Diploma in Management. My employment history consists entirely of being a manager at a major fast food outlet. To make matters worse, I currently only know very basic Cantonese.

However, I do not intend on travelling to HK for glamour - I would be happy if I could make enough to scrape by for rent and some fun. I won't be heading over for. a while - enough time to amass some momey and improve my Canto.

Any hope?

Few of the expat bars / restaurants in town will hire working holiday visa holders.

I did that last year. Not a good time just after GFC but still found work. Temporary work like exhibition assistance, Rubgy 7 through People factor. Most ppl round the 17 - 23 age group just out of college or still studying. Paid was minimal but was quite fun. Best to try pubs and bars. Work on the Cantonese will be an advantage. Downside to Working holiday visa is you need to change jobs every 3 months.

If you are an Aussie or Irish there may be quite a good support network through the AFL / GAA teams here.