Like Tree5Likes

Is it okay to keep a rug in HK?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Is it okay to keep a rug in HK?

My family is relocating to HK. I would like to know if it is feasible to keep a living room rug in HK given the high humidity level? I really like the rug I have right now and would want to ship it over, but I want to make sure I can use it if I do ship it.

any advise or comments would be appreciated.

I am sure it will be fine just make sure you clean your rug at least twice a month and sunbathe it whenver possible

And use a dehumidifier (big electrical one).

MW1 likes this.

Yes, never mind diamonds, in Hong Kong DEHUMIDIFIERS are a woman's best friend!
    Unless you arrive in late autumn, it is wise to make one of these critters your first major electrical purchase after arrival. I can guarantee that within a month you will either be really thankful you did or sorry that you didn't.

MW1 likes this.

Is it just me or it seems like I have had to start the dehumidifiers much earlier this year...already had one "victim"...a wicker basket with my kids toys acquired a lot of mold within a few days.

Rugs are not uncommon in HKG, and some effort would need to go into ensuring that they remain relatively clean. That and the dehumidifiers should take care of it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

did i miss something? i had a rug for 3 years in a harbour front apartment and never used an device or cleaned it

Thanks for the replies. The rug I have is a thick fluffy one. any suggestions on which dehumidifier to buy? and does it take up a lot of space?

I bought a Hyundai one in Park 'n Shop which was very cheap and is going strong 3 years on. The only problem is that it's a bit noisy and the supermarket only sells it randomly when it falls off the back of a lorry.

And also make sure you don't do something crazy, like vacation in the summer when the humidity is high.
    I think a rug is a mistake and not needed anyway, unless yo are trying to be purely decorative with it.
    You are inviting mold and mildew.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast