Hi all - lots of great information on this forum.
My wife and I will be moving to Hong Kong in January. Her company is transferring her there and it's an offer that she really doesn't want to pass up, so I'm going along (after quitting my job). I'm a little nervous about the job situation over there...her company has offered to place me either in her company or with another, but this has all come about so fast that we haven't really had time to delve too deeply into that yet.
A few questions that we have (that I'm hoping some of you more seasoned veterans can help with) follow:
1. we have 2 dogs that we are not willing to leave behind in the US - I read froggies post on bringing dogs from France...any advise on bringing them from the US? Is it really difficult to find a nice apartment that will accept dogs and is near a park or green area?
2. this one is more selfish...HOW DO I FIND A JOB!?!? I've searched on monster.com.hk and some others and it seems that all want people fluent in English and Chinese (I speak one of these...guess which ) I am a college grad (advertising/PR degree) with ~7 years of experience in technology sales (with major companies) - I'd like to find a position in marketing...and if not I've toyed with the idea of going back to school either for my MBA or another undergrad degree in computer science.
3. where are the good places to live? Her company is going to pay for a 2 bedroom apt, I think ~$3K/month and was wondering where we should be looking.
4. does anyone else have experience with being the partner of someone transferred to HK and going over blind...I'm a little apprehensive about leaving a very good, well paying job here to go halfway around the world with no idea what waits for me.
5. (last one...i promise) - taxes...since her company is transferring her to HK they're going to make her whole on taxes...she'll only have to pay her US taxes, they take care of the foreign taxes...should I expect this from a company that I work for in HK? (i doubt that a company that just hired me would do this, but I have no reference)
Sorry for the long post...I'm just getting into this and any answers that you might have to the above would be greatly appreciated.