Like Tree1Likes

Kowloon vs. Mid-levels

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Not a lot of street life in Olympic, as far as I can see... it's all these massive isolated podiums that the developers love so much.
    Granted, Olympic is pretty quiet. Not a bad spot to go home to after being out on the lash in central or TST though. It's a halfway house for those between the young, single, crazy soho/lkf lifestyle and the slightly older, tamer crowd. Unfortunately, I’m passing into the even older, more sedentary, just-had-a-baby-so-too-tired-to-do-anything demographic.

Although I am not a clubber nor a drink-till-I-drop person (sorry to stereotype LKF), am I going to end up with babies and well-settled expats on Kowloon?

Last edited by woow; 31-03-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    If the OP is going to taxi it around, I'd probably lean toward Yau Yat Tsuen, Tat Chi avenue ( Festival Walk ), Broadcast drive Kowloon Tong or Beacon Hill.
    Thats the nicer part of inner Kowloon in my opinion, and as public transport is very concentrated around there, it shouldn't be a problem.
    It used to take me 15 minutes to walk to Argyle Centre in Mong Kok when I lived in Yau Yat Tsuen. TST is only a short walk from there, catching the MTR is only a few stops away from TST.

I like KT/Beacon Hill and currently looking to buy a flat there but to be fair it is more family oriented than single professionnal IMHO.

I certainly know that we trying to buy (with the wife) in that area because of that factor.

I'm living in the Harbourside at the moment. The gym opens at 7am, so you can't use it in the morning if you start early (I start early too so this is annoying). It does stay open until 11pm though. The pool opens tomorrow (1st April) so I'll let you know what that is like.

Getting a taxi back from Central/LKF/Wan Chai costs about 100-120 HKD if you take the Sheung Wan tunnel and 80-100 HKD if you take the Causeway Bay one. Either option is 10-20 minutes depending on traffic.

There are not so many places to hang around here - Stormies Bar seems to be the only choice - but honestly Lan Kwai Fong and Mid-Levels are 15-20 minutes away by train or taxi so who cares?

If you work in ICC then you can nip home in 5 minutes, take a shower, get changed and head out to meet your friends on the Island for the evenings. Seems like a great option to me! I work in Central and it takes 15 minutes door-to-door to my office by MTR (7.8 HKD) or taxi (100 HKD).

Quote Originally Posted by woow:
    Although I am not a clubber nor a drink-till-I-drop person (sorry to stereotype LKF), am I going to end up with babies and well-settled expats on Kowloon?
    More so in Oympic than any of the places around Elements I reckon

Some other cool things about Harbourside - you can rent the terrace overlooking Victoria Harbour for parties/BBQs and there is a digital cinema, pool room and karaoke rooms if any of these are your bag.

Also a golf simulation room and a few more esoteric rooms I have not tried yet!

Geoff, what is a digital cinema. Is that 3D? Or is it an upgraded DVD player? Golf simulator is handy and probably is better than the Wii but what is an esoteric room? Is that one of those holostic capsules that make you feel 130 years younger

The digital cinema is a basically private theatre with about 30-40 comfy seats and a big projector & screen that you can rent out for 120 HKD an hour.

I didn't try the golf room yet... esoteric rooms is a catch all description for all the rooms I can't remember :-)

Geoff, what is a digital cinema. Is that 3D? Or is it an upgraded DVD player? Golf simulator is handy and probably is better than the Wii but what is an esoteric room? Is that one of those holostic capsules that make you feel 130 years younger
    There’s a whole bunch of random rooms you can rent for parties and the like. Kitted out with stereos, TVs, karaoke machines. There’s also a room with two pool tables. The ‘cinema’ is just a big screen with surround sound and a bunch of comfy chairs. You bring your own DVDs to watch. It’s all in their website I linked to earlier ...

Hi Chocolatekisses, fair point but maybe that's a good thing not to have a bar under my office. Keeps me a little bit sane.
    well.. .there's stormies (bar) at the civic square (podium level above elements ) so... not exactly under your office

prob will be a good 1st year starter accomodation for you if you live here will definitely wont get lost going to work.