'trailing spouse' and moving to HK

Closed Thread

Question 'trailing spouse' and moving to HK

This is an excellent and very helpful site! I have been following the various discussion threads as part of my research for a possible move to HK in early 2004 and have learnt a lot from you all. I am now hoping for some personal feedback...I have a well-paid career in Australia. My partner of a year has just recently moved to HK to an engineering role where his career prospects are looking very good. He is living there now and we very much want to be together. Unfortunately, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that if I move to HK I will have great difficulty in obtaining any employment at all. I have a political science degree, have had had numerous roles over the years and am currently a Community Relations Manager working in the area of major civil infrastructure projects. My main focus is key external stakeholder relations, governmental and corporate relations and communications, team management. While I am not tied to staying in the same role as I currently have, my surfing of the jobs sites shows that sponsorship and language could/will be a huge problem. I speak no Mandarin or Chinese.

Living in HK without an interesting career and opportunities would be totally unbearable for me. I am a realist...is it time to say goodbye to my man?

>> Community Relations Manager working in the area of major civil infrastructure projects

Have you considered approaching Disney?

Are you able to take a month or so off and hit the streets in HK?

>> key external stakeholder relations, governmental and corporate relations and communications, team management.

Sounds like you could work for just about anyone that wants to do business with the government. Most of the jobs in this area are (at the senior / expat levels) are probably not posted on jobs sites and are more likely to be available from network contacts.

You may want to get in touch with the folks here

http://www.geoexpat.com/Australian_Association_L29

They may be able to provide you with some leads.

Thanks so much for your quick and helpful response. I will contact the Australian Association, thanks for the lead. Disney? As in Disneyland? I have just come back last week from a visit to HK and I assume you mean that there is no Community Relations issues associated with civil infrastructure projects in HK...

Yes, I can take a month or two off and "hit the streets in HK' much longer than that and I would be stir crazy though!

I will keep watching the Geoexpat site as I try and work out my moving decision....cheers

Smile

Thanks Paul. Another interesting site. I will look into it.