Like Tree6Likes

moving costs to HK from US

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

moving costs to HK from US

what are some categories of expenditures moving from HK to US?

My future employer is expecting me to provide him with a list of moving expenditures that I will potentially incurred so that he can calculate and come up with a moving allowance for me. The more reasonable costs I can come up with, the more moving allowance I can get, so any feedbacks will be appreciated and welcomed!

Some costs I can think of include:

1. 2 Plane ticket (for myself, and for my mom who will accompany me to HK to help me settle in HK)

2. Possibly getting a moving company (but I do not have much assets to bring with me to HK)

3. Inability to work (thus, no income) due to the need to arrive in HK 2-3 weeks prior to commencement of job. Do you think they will reimbursement me for this 2-3 weeks worth of salary for the need to arrive in HK earlier to settle things and find a house.

4. Is it a legitimate reason to give and ask the employer to raise the moving allowance to accomondate for the 2 months down payment for renting a apt in HK?

5. please share all your other inputs and other moving costs you can think of!

much appreciated!

sorry, i am moving TO HK FROM US (not TO US FROM HK)

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    for my mom who will accompany me to HK to help me settle in HK
    Does anyone else think this is odd?

Anyway, include an allowance for a serviced apartment for the first month; this will give you time to find the right place.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:

Anyway, include an allowance for a serviced apartment for the first month; this will give you time to find the right place.
    they are providing me with 2 weeks of hotel in HK, so I dont think they will give allowance for serviced apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Indeed - that is utterly bizarre. Does your employer know that they are employing someone who isn't able to take care of themself?

As an employer I think I would have very serious doubts about anyone asking for expenses for their mother to accompany them!

How old are you for heaven's sake?

The normal things that are reimbursed in this type of thing are shipping costs for your possessions (including insurance), any costs associated with breaking leases in your old home, one time furnishing costs on your new apartment, costs of tax advice (sometimes done as a one off on moving, sometimes as an ongoing benefit), and so on...
    Last edited by PDLM; 01-04-2010 at 03:03 PM.

age 23! the longer the list I come up with, the better!

Are you planning to take your mother to the office with you for the first few days to help you settle in there? Maybe help you make a cup of tea? Wipe your bottom when you go to the toilet? Tell off that horrible boss person if he's nasty to you?

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Are you planning to take your mother to the office with you for the first few days to help you settle in there? Maybe help you make a cup of tea? Wipe your bottom when you go to the toilet? Tell off that horrible boss person if he's nasty to you?
    Dont forget lunch time....

NO! she is only staying with me for 2 weeks then she is back to the US. jesus, i dont think it's too weird to have my mom come with me.

Well I think you're in a minority of one. I have certainly never heard of anyone else doing it. There is absolutely no way a company would pay for it, and I think it would be a major mistake to mention to the company in any way that this is what you are planning.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast