Like Tree7Likes

Moving to HK in June 2010

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Smile Moving to HK in June 2010

I'll be transferring from Singapore to Hong Kong. My office will be in Central.

Where are the good places to live? My budget should not exceed HKD10,000.

I'd like to have some space so I guess I'll have to bear with longer commute becaue I heard apartments in New Territories or the islands are generally more spacious for the same price.
    Is there any location that anyone can recommend?

Thanks very much!

20 minutes ferry ride from Discovery Bay?

Unfortunately HKD10,000 doesn't rent very much here :-( You might be able to find something in one of the older walk-up style buildings in the back streets of Sai Ying Poon or Kennedy Town to the west, or Happy Valley / Tin Hau eastwards towards Shaukeiwan.
    If you don't mind a longer commute in exchange for more space, then you could look for a village house flat out beyond Shatin or Tsuen Wan, or out on an island like Lamma, Cheung Chau or Lantau.

for 10K you can get a two bedroom in DB (700Sq ft) its wont be in one of the newer buildings though,

nowhere does the OP imply that they want to live in DB....???

You can get 2 BR for under 10K in Tung Wah Hospital Properties. Not huge but good buildings and good management. I pay just over $8K and this place is liveable, clean and well maintained. They have buildings in Sheung Wan, Wan Chai, etc.

These are high rises where I am.

Thanks. What is DB?

Living on those islands (discovery bay, lantau etc). Are there modern conveniences on these islands? Especially clinics and supermarts.

DB is Discovery Bay...of course there are modern conveniences! hk is not a third world country....you may have to travel/walk a bit to get to them (depending on which island/village you choose).

Db has a lot of expats. there are at least 2 clinics (possibly more now that the new plaza is open), 2 supermarkets (catering to expats). DB is also on Lantau Island, but it has it's own ferry to Central.

Discovery Bay - perhaps the most boring place on earth. Nice for families with young kids and old folks though I am sure.

Tons of places go for less than 10k. Quarry Bay, Kennedy town, too many places in NT to mention. All depends on how long you are willing to commute. Last time I looked into this, older buildings & no metro but local buses means cheaper rents. Not sure if that is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by xwei82:
    I'll be transferring from Singapore to Hong Kong. My office will be in Central.

Where are the good places to live? My budget should not exceed HKD10,000.

I'd like to have some space so I guess I'll have to bear with longer commute becaue I heard apartments in New Territories or the islands are generally more spacious for the same price.
    Is there any location that anyone can recommend?

Thanks very much!

Hey Fella Singaporean!

I think for 10k - esp right now - you'd be settling for Chinese walk-ups and generally unfurnished apartments. Suggest you get an agent and provide the budget and area you want. Really eases the stresses of home-hunting =o)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast