Budget help/advice. 1st post.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Budget help/advice. 1st post.

Good evening.

I'll be moving to HK soon to take up a position with the NET scheme. The salary on offer is HK$47,000. Will this be suitable for two people as my wife won't be able to work straight away(she 's a mainlander)?

We aren't seeking to hit up the high end bars/restaurants, except maybe on special occasions.

We were thinking of a budget like this...
    Rent:8000-10000(+-700sft not on HK island)
    Tax:5800
    Utilities:1200+-
    Food:6000(at home mostly)
    Indiv: 4000x2(including transport/entertainment/personal spending).
    Total= $31,000

Is this possible?I looked through some earlier posts but they were from 2005). We are happy to live more local and simple but we don't want to be hermits either.

Your advice/insight or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Adobe

looks about right. hubby and i make a little more than that, a lot more in a good month... but we have: 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 rabbits & 2 helpers...so, you should be fine.

one thing to REALLY think about is: can your wife get a visa to live in hk? it is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY difficult for mainland wives to join their local husbands in hk. the visa application process is COMPLETELY different if she is from the mainland...

not doom & gloom... just giving you a heads up!

Prices haven't changed much since 2005, except rent.

Your tax is high - as a married couple with a total income of $564,000 per year your tax would be a little under $4,000/month. If you aren't exempt from MPF then add another $1,000.

Utilities are probably a bit low for the summer, particularly if someone is home all day with aircon on, but high for winter. The average is about right I guess.

I don't see why the fact that your wife is from the mainland makes any difference - as the Dependant of someone on an Employment Visa she can work freely without further paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    one thing to REALLY think about is: can your wife get a visa to live in hk? it is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY difficult for mainland wives to join their local husbands in hk. the visa application process is COMPLETELY different if she is from the mainland...
    Not true if she is the wife of someone on an Employment Visa, Investment Visa, Study Visa, Training Visa, QMAS, or CIES. Chinese spouses of the above are now like any other - see: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

I believe this rule has changed at some point in the last few years. It is actually the only point on which being on one of those visas is BETTER than being a Permanent Resident.

wow! excellent! i did not know of the change!

terrific....

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Not true if she is the wife of someone on an Employment Visa, Investment Visa, Study Visa, Training Visa, QMAS, or CIES. Chinese spouses of the above are now like any other - see: The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

I believe this rule has changed at some point in the last few years. It is actually the only point on which being on one of those visas is BETTER than being a Permanent Resident.
    Am I reading this correctly:
    If the hubby is on emplyment visa, the mainland wife can have dependant visa.
    If the hubby is a perm resident (no visa), the mainland wife cannot have dependant visa.

I have a friend (PR) who very recently was able to bring his mainland wife to Hong Kong, but only after the wife received an Australian passport. She wasnt able to get a HK visa otherwise.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    looks about right. hubby and i make a little more than that, a lot more in a good month... but we have: 2 kids, 2 dogs, 3 rabbits & 2 helpers...so, you should be fine.

not doom & gloom... just giving you a heads up!
    wow really?! if you don't mind me asking are you able to save any money?

its great a family of 4 with 2 maids can live on abt 50,000/m

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Am I reading this correctly:
    If the hubby is on emplyment visa, the mainland wife can have dependant visa.
    If the hubby is a perm resident (no visa), the mainland wife cannot have dependant visa.

I have a friend (PR) who very recently was able to bring his mainland wife to Hong Kong, but only after the wife received an Australian passport. She wasnt able to get a HK visa otherwise.
    Yup - pretty much. If the husband is a PR then the wife must have Permanent Residence somewhere other than China in order to be eligible for a Dependant Visa. There is no such restriction on wives of people on Employment Visas.

From The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department
    9. PRC passport holders who have obtained permanent residence in an overseas country may apply for entry as dependants.

no, we don't save much money as we have debts we are paying down. once our debts are cleared, we'd be fine, though...

Yes what PDLM said is correct. I actually think it is discriminatory. If a PR (man or woman) marries someone from another country, the spouse could get a dependent visa, and after 7 years, get permanent residency. If he/she marries a mainlander, the spouse cannot.

This is apparently in place to stop a huge influx of new immigrants and dragging down resources on HK welfare, healthy services, etc., as many HK men do marry mainland wives. But it IS downright discriminatory.

However, anyone with HKD6.5m could waltz in and get an investment visa.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast