Moving to HK from New York

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Ok, I've arrived in HK... still clueless about the apartment search and am quite stressed out about it.

Prefably, I want to work within walking distance to Exchange Sq and live in Central.

Or

I want to live in an apartment close to the MTR so that I can just hop in & out of the MTR to go to work/go home.

I need at least 600sqf, and my budget be max HKD 12,000-.

What do you think about the Kennedy Town? How long would be the commute to the Central?

I might also look into North Point or Taikoo area.

Sigh... been here for a week now and feel so unsettlted without an apartment. Any local advise is appreciated.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by PinkandParty:
    Ok, I've arrived in HK... still clueless about the apartment search and am quite stressed out about it.

Prefably, I want to work within walking distance to Exchange Sq and live in Central.

Or

I want to live in an apartment close to the MTR so that I can just hop in & out of the MTR to go to work/go home.

What do you think about the Kennedy Town? How long would be the commute to the Central?

Sigh... been here for a week now and feel so unsettlted without an apartment. Any local advise is appreciated.
    Hi PinkandParty,

Welcome to Hong Kong, a city of Opportunity.

There are buildings you may consider:

Manhatten Heights (in Kennedy Town)
    111 High Street (in Kennedy Town)

Ying Piu Mansion (Breezy Path, Midlevel West)

Manhatten Heights should have shuttle bus to Central. For other two buildings, taking a cab to work shouldn't cost u too much.

North Point and Taikoo Shing may not be your cup of tea since it is a more localized area.

If u need any help, give me a PM. Good luck.

Talking

Or

Oh, one more advice. Maybe you can consider the Union Square in Kowloon side. Just one MTR station away from IFC2. If u can afford $15K inclusive, the 1 bedroom The Arch offers you an excellent 6 stars club house and facilities. Kekeke. The swimming pool is so cool. the pool is on something like 59/F. Kekek...take a look of their web http://www.thearch.com.hk

Good luck

Wink

Or

Hi pink,
    I had the exactly same problem when I moved to hk last month. I am 25 female working at central. I was very lost and distracted that time and worst still I gotta travel quite a bit on business.

I have seen manhattan heights at kennedy rd and the development is very classy, sea-facing- real value for money. There are many not-so-expensive development outside central for you to pick.

Anyhow I chose to stay at mid level for the fact that I am new to the city, staying at the centre of action and convenience are more important to me at this moment. Now I have settled down with a 520 sq ft apartment by myself and able to walk to work! Laundry, cool bars and restaurants are all within walking distance.

Maybe 1 year later I will move to somewhere more quiet. we could hang out as I am new to town too!

Hi Pink,

Welcome to Hong Kong!! Where in NY are you from, I was born in Queens and lived on the Upper East Side.

Hong Kong is not that different from NY in my opinion, the vibe is similar. If you have any questions about HK, give me a shout, I have only been here for a month but am more then happy to help!!

-Claire

Hi Pink and fellow NYorkers!

I am also from NYC (chelsea to be exact!) and just moved to HK 2 months ago. We should all meet up one of these days. Would anyone be interested?

Quote Originally Posted by chelseachica:
    I am also from NYC (chelsea to be exact!) and just moved to HK 2 months ago. We should all meet up one of these days. Would anyone be interested?

Last I lived in the US, I was on the Upper East side. Might be nice to have a NYC outing.... I've only been here 6 weeks too.

I think that would be a great idea, I'd love to meet fellow New Yorkers...

Wow, thanks for the reply guys. I am not originally from NY per se, but I lived in NYC for 5 years. I miss NY... Hong Kong is similar to NY in a way, but I still miss NY.

It'd be nice to meet up and share the anxiety and make the Hong Kong life more fun.

Right now I am just frustrated with the apt search... till then I feel unsettled...

hey Pink, we are in similar boat as I have just moved out here from london with an investment bank. 12k hkd budget? Don't forget tax is only 16% here! Rent is partially tax deductable too. I set myself a pretty low budget to start with but kept raising it when a) I realised how much money I'd be saving in tax b) how expensive a decent sized conveniently situated place costs! - I was determined to be close to work and nightlife, am about to move into a place in mid levels.....