Like Tree13Likes

Pl share ur opinion

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pl share ur opinion

Recently, I have been offered a position at a company. As I am considering to take a final decision to quit the present job, I seek ur help in understanding few things... cost of living, compensation, food...

The compensation includes a basic Salary of 26K HKD + Family allowance 10K HKD. As I am not a partyholic, would this be sufficient if I relocate along with my wife. For next few years my wife is not planning to go for job

If no kids then yes that should easily be sufficient.

According to my experience from the past 1.5 months, this salary is just sufficient.
    Having said that, you will have to find a house of 10K rent, have food regularly at home and dont venture out much.
    You will have to squeeze a bit in this salary and wont be able to save much at the end of the month.

Also calculate the taxes, Tax Information .

I would suggest to ask for more compensation if your company can agree upon.

You will have to consider how frequently you will travel to India (u should check out the average expense per person) and how much money you would like to send back to your dependents.

But it is a decent salary.

Last edited by indianocean; 17-05-2010 at 06:58 PM.
    IndiatoHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    If no kids then yes that should easily be sufficient.
    36k sufficient? maybe if the op is fresh college graduate and doesn't mind shacking up with roommates- or living at lesat 45mins away. also keep in mind you'll be taking trains/busses only, bringing food in to eat, and barely doing any travelling.

and yes. before you go quoting that the avg salary here is way below that, let's keep in mind that locals can go to local places to eat where they speak the language and know all the cheap places.

my opinion. if you're young/recent grad and don't mind splitting costs/saving where need be (preparing own food, not taking taxis everywhere, living far from central, don't plan on travelling much etc) then yes. 26k +10k allowance is 'sufficient'.

for most people i know that would be 'slumming' it. can you live off of it. yes. can you live comfortably? i personally don't think so.
    IndiatoHK likes this.

F.A.O. campas12:

The OP has stated that he will be relocating to Hong Kong with his wife, so shacking up with friends is clearly not an option, fresh out of college or not.

If he has no kids, can find an apartment for 10k or under, is able to walk to work and is not a partyholic, then I agree that HKD 36,000 should cover his expenses albeit with not much savings at the end of the month.

Given that 50% of households in Hong Kong live on less than $20K I think there is no doubt that $36K is "sufficient" - it's a little more than I'm living off at the moment (including about $10K in "rent") and I hardly think that I'm "slumming it". I almost never take a taxi anywhere though - the public transport system works very well for me.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-05-2010 at 08:23 PM.
    IndiatoHK likes this.

I'd also think you could live comfortably but not extravagantly on that salary. Not too many overseas holidays and not too many eating out at fancy restaurants, but perfectly doable without 'slumming' it.

IndiatoHK likes this.

to the OP - it definitively is sufficient. For a perspective, I'm currently - as a grad student - living off 13,500HK$ a month and I don't feel like I'm slumming it either. I mostly eat at local eateries and rarely if ever go to Soho or LKF, but I buy my cheese and ham at citysuper, and I do go out regularly. Your living expenses will typically rise significantly as soon as there is something you got used to in a western country that you don't want to sacrifice - dining at Soho restaurants, renting a US/Europe sized flat, sending your kids to an international school, having your own car, flying home regularly etc.. If it is just the two of you, and you don't plan to fly to India on a weekly basis, then you'll do just fine.

IndiatoHK likes this.

It's fine and all depends on your lifestyle. Yes, you can survive and most definitely don't have to 'slum it' as a previous poster said. Even a 'slum' in HK would be better than a 'slum' in most other places in the region whether it's Asia Pac or SE. Although poverty is widespread in HK (just look at how most people cannot ever own a place to live) it's nothing compared to real poverty experienced by other places in the region. Although wealth is very far from being evenly distributed, HK enjoys a nice standard of living for most residents. The salary you mentioned is just fine for a nice little life in HK for a few years.

IndiatoHK likes this.

Hi Everyone
    Thanks for sharing your honest opinion! It appears that I need to compromise on few things like often visiting homeland, planning for vacation etc. I am working for a revised offer that would put the total figure somewhere between 40K and 45K. This company is offering a 13th month CNY bonus. Is that something very common in HK? Offer also mentions about the free medical insurance. If at all something very common missing in my compensation, what that would be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast