Like Tree4Likes

Help, Moving to HK for 3mo, need school for 11 yr old

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help, Moving to HK for 3mo, need school for 11 yr old

Help, Moving to HK for 3mo, need school for 11 yr old girl. I am at a total loss. My husband will be working in Tseun Wan, so Kowloon would probably be the best place to live? Does anyone know if schools will take a child for 1 semester? Or if there are any good tutoring agencies?? And any ideas of where to live... He doesn't mind the commute... Any help would be VERY appreciated!!

it is HIGHLY unlikely you will find any school that will take a child for such a short time.... schools are notoriously hard to get into here.

what about speaking to your son's current school. explaining the situation and asking if there is any way your son can attend it "online"? i know most of the ESF schools here put all homework online, so all the kids have to do is go to the website to see what they are supposed to do.

3 months is such a short time, it should be possible for your son's current school to allow some flexibility, no?

as for places to live, Tsing Yi would be ideal. it's only a very short minibus ride to Tsuen Wan and there is also an MTR station (but the minibuses are faster!)

gkbates likes this.

If you're going back to the same place after 3 months couldn't your daughter just do an extended sleepover with a friend?

If you're coming on Visitor Visas then there's no way she'll get into a school here.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    it is HIGHLY unlikely you will find any school that will take a child for such a short time.... schools are notoriously hard to get into here.

what about speaking to your son's current school. explaining the situation and asking if there is any way your son can attend it "online"? i know most of the ESF schools here put all homework online, so all the kids have to do is go to the website to see what they are supposed to do.

3 months is such a short time, it should be possible for your son's current school to allow some flexibility, no?

as for places to live, Tsing Yi would be ideal. it's only a very short minibus ride to Tsuen Wan and there is also an MTR station (but the minibuses are faster!)
    Just wondering if we stayed for the year would that change our chances of getting into a school?? And thank you SO much for your help, any chance you know any tutors??

international schools here are EXTREMELY difficult to get into and also EXTREMELY expensive...you would have to phone around and ask each school individually if they have space for your son or not, what the procedures are and what the fees would be.

gkbates likes this.

home schooling might be your best option.

gkbates likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thundacatchergo:
    home schooling might be your best option.
    or stay in uk with the child whilst the husband works in hk if it's for only 3 months.
    Posted via Mobile Device

If it is only for 3 months I would suggest trying to convince the school in the UK that the trip would be very educational for the child and that you would build in some home schooling if they could provide guidance.

gkbates likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    or stay in uk with the child whilst the husband works in hk if it's for only 3 months.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    well yeah, but its obvious that they like to stay together.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.. It actually got me thinking... We do like to stay together, so maybe we will move over for the year. Does that make getting into a school easier? and Is there a school that you all could suggest? She is a bright 6th grader, loves sports (tom boy), and has good test scores and great grades?? ANY thoughts would be very helpful.
    Also, it looks like (after looking through this site), that we should come over and stay for a short time somewhere while we check out apartments? I would say we have up to 3000.00 USD to spend a month, any thoughts?? Thanks in advance for all your replies :-)
    also, we do like to be together and I think it would be a wonderful adventure for our 11 year old (she has never been), so if I have to do a homeschool/tutor/ God knows what, I will. :-)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast