Moving to HKG July from Singapore

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to HKG July from Singapore

Hi all, I am relocated to HKG this July from my current employment in SGP. My company is providing me with the service apartment for the first month. My wife and my 3 yrs son will be joiining me in January 2007.

There are several places that I am thinking:
    1) Gold Coast
    2) Discovery Bay
    3) Tung Chung
    4) Kowloon

I have a budget of $8000-$9000 for around 800-900 sqf or maybe to $10,000 for 1,000 sqf for 3 bedrooms. Can I found a good place for this range? I went to Gold Coast website and do you know whether the rate is fixed there or can be negotiate? Also for places in Discovery Bay, what are the apartments that are nearer to the pier for convinient basis.

For apartments in Tung Chung, what is recommended and i have found that it is a cheaper from the other places. But is it worth it? My wife and my son will not go to the island everyday therefore it is essential to have a nice environment around the apartment since they will be there most of the time.

I also will bring a domestic helper from Indonesia (as I myself am Indonesian), but still scratching my head on the rarity of places that can accomodate the domestic helper. Any suggestion?

My plan is that from month July I will be living in service apt, then thinking of getting 1 bedroom for short lease (6 months) before settling in to bigger apartment.

And for short lease, what is the recommendation to stay for 5-6 months for around $4000-6000 (must be convinient and have both cable + internet access).

And for your info, I am not really an expat since I will be a local hire therefore the budget is a bit limited.

I appreciate with the help I can get and sorry with too many question asked.

javaman

your budget is quite a challenge seriously.

May I know where will be your office?

Tung Chung is very far and I heard that the air is bad (or worse than rest of HK) over there.

Gold Coast looks nice at least on the web as I have not been there before but again its very far from Central.

Kowloon has plenty of suburds to choose from and I am not sure which one you are referring to.

Discovery Bay I think is probably out of your budget as its an expat area.

Having said that please consider Tsing Yi as a potential choice. 3 bedroom for 10k is doable there. The area is convivnent and full of amenities. Also please bear in mind that the area of the apartment listed is gross. Net useable space is around 80%-90% of that size quoted.

Last but not least I doubt you can get a 6 mths lease until your family arrives in 2007. But no harm checking around.

Good Luck!

Agreed with what Explorer says.

Most landlords wil not be willing to rent out there apartments for a period as short as 6 months to be honest as it will incur additional costs for them in paying fee's to the letting agency etc and then when you move out 6 months later they have to pay yet another fee to the agent for finding a new tenant.

$4-6k a month will not get you very far and if you do require cable and net access then that will usually be extra on top as you will have to enter a 12 month contract with PCCW etc.

To Explorer & Jimbo:
    Thanks for your comment. Although I am not an expat, but I do have a decent salary package (FYI: My package salary is around $50-60,000 per month) so I can stretch to may be 12000 if space is around 1000 sqf.

Also I don't mind spending 40-50 minutes on the time required from apartment to office (as this is currently the case in Singapore). I will work in Pacific Place in Central (Admirality MTR).

For PCCW contract, I think if I can get 6 months lease, I can transfer to my new place right (with existing contract). I don't mind spending the transfer fee if this is possible.

After several thought, I might even thinking to get the place since beginning of August but need to share until January to other people that willing to stay short term or the other alternative is to rent room/flat.

My theory is to save as much as I can when I am alone (no point to spend to much) and spend a bit when my family come.

Is Tung Chung that bad on the pollution. There seems to be a mixed feeling on this.

If for the first 6 months cost cutting is your priority do you really need the large space and domestic helper? If no then you could consider some of the serviced apartments in the Central area. Not the nicest, most modern nor largest places (400 to 600 sqf) but companies like W Studios can offer studios from the HK$7,000 to HK$12,000 range, all inclusive including internet. They also have another company H Studios in Happy Valley which I understand are newly renovated.

http://www.wstudios.com.hk/
    http://www.hstudios.com.hk/

If you are at Admiralty..do consider Chai Wan or Heng Fa Chuen which is on the far end of HK Island. I am pretty sure you can manage 10k at these places. Last but not least you can check around to lease a room in the interim.

I don't know this place. Is it quite good to raise family? I will definitely look into it then. And what is the best place in Kowloon then?

Quote Originally Posted by explorer:
    If you are at Admiralty..do consider Chai Wan or Heng Fa Chuen which is on the far end of HK Island. I am pretty sure you can manage 10k at these places. Last but not least you can check around to lease a room in the interim.

No I don't need large space nor domestic helper on this time. I only need a place that I can sleep and just relax after work. The only thing that I need is just good place to eat in the neigborhood (even fast food is okay) and easy transportation. But I do hope the place is clean and at least not to cramp. Around 300-400 sqf looks okay.

The places your mention looks nice but a bit too expensive as I wanted to save money, but I will definitely look into it if I don't have any other choices.

One last thing is that there will be World Cup the time I move, do you think they are in local channel or cable?

Quote Originally Posted by nation:
    If for the first 6 months cost cutting is your priority do you really need the large space and domestic helper? If no then you could consider some of the serviced apartments in the Central area. Not the nicest, most modern nor largest places (400 to 600 sqf) but companies like W Studios can offer studios from the HK$7,000 to HK$12,000 range, all inclusive including internet. They also have another company H Studios in Happy Valley which I understand are newly renovated.

http://www.wstudios.com.hk/
    http://www.hstudios.com.hk/

Check Whampoa Garden in Kowloon side. You can get 700-800+ sq for 12k to 15k. Very convenient..food all around, 2 supermarket (Jusco + PNS).
    Depend which block you choose. Some as near as 5mins to ferry concourse where you can take a boat to go work =). Main bus station also about 5 mins walk.Buses go to your work place too.

Hi

As an "expat" also on local package, Id like to add some perspective to your search:
    1. Ive lived on HongKong island (pok fu lam, midlevels) , Discovery Bay, and Sai Kung. At present I live in Tung Chung. I have a 6 year old son who goes to an English language primary school 5 min walking distance from home (which is a luxury in HKG!)

2. Budget: your budget is fine for Discovery Bay and Tung Chung areas (you can visit www.centaline.com to get prices about recent tenancy transactions all over HKG). You can even start out by living in a smaller apartment for around 5K per month and get familiar with the area before your family arrives.

3. Schooling: You can find chinese schools all over HKG. In Tung Chung there is the Sunshine House school for pre-school and primary upto grade
    4. Pollution: If you come to HKG, there is NO escaping the pollution since it comes from 1) the factories in Guangdong 2) local vehicles
    There is a lot of misconception and miscommunication about pollution. Here are some common-sense facts
    - there are NO Himalayan mountains in or near HKG to block windstreams (as should be obvious, small hills like the ones in HKG, DO NOT block pollution)
    - HKG is a pretty windy place, so any pollution from Guangzhou factories will circulate ALL OVER town
    - Localized pollution from traffic at street level will naturally be high in downtown areas
    - the govt has installed pollution measuring devices at SOME locations ... so those areas are the ones that get reported on. Discovery Bay does not have a device ... so the residents (I used to be one) continue to live in the false belief that they have less pollution ... whereas they are just 15 minutes away by bus from Tung Chung !

Personally, I am thrilled after my move from Discovery Bay to Tung Chung because of
    - far better transport connection (MTR train + public buses + 10 min taxi to airport)
    - newer and better construction (Coastal Skyline apartments), while DB is now pretty old
    - far more convenient and cheaper club house (just go downstairs and go for a swim! in discovery bay you have to catch a bus every time you want to use the club)
    - it is just as kid-friendly as discovery bay ... we have a great club + playgounds + space within the complex for kids to run free and cycle
    - movie theatre + shopping mall is 5-10min walking distance
    - less road traffic than the rest of HKG since Tung Chung is a new town, so we can even bike around the area
    - the hills are just 10 min walking to go hiking (same as Discovery Bay)
    All in all, my family has no need to leave tung chung when I am travelling or at work.

I just wish I had moved here earlier !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast