Like Tree1Likes

Should I take the plunge?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twinholly:
    just out of curiosity, why do you think the gender balance is slanted?
    The gender balance in Hong Kong in general is slanted for two reasons: the number of FDHs and the large number of local men who marry mainland women. Also a large number of expat men are either already married and/or (they are not mutually exclusive) have an asian gf or wife.

Only because comparatively speaking there are far more expat men involved with local women than there are expat women involved with local men.

I'll chime in for this one : I have no real evidence that there is actually slanted gender balance, but from speaking to many expat men and women over the years, I always hear that "good guys are taken". Its purely observational and anecdotal evidence.

I also know many attractive and successful women who I would gladly date if I were single. They are continually looking and not finding stable and suitable LT companions; they attract and find the wrong type of guys.

I dont think there is shortage of men, but I do believe that there is a shortage of men willing to enter a LT relationship; perhaps they are too busy, perhaps they are too involved in 1-nighters or they are just spending too much time partying...

If I were to become single anytime soon (doubt it will happen), I know for a fact that I would have multiple choices for female companions who are attractive, articulate and successful.

HC

What's 'expat girls' anyhow? Other white folk or what? Kind of a strange outlook. HK is full of honeys if that's what you are asking, expat or not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I dont think there is shortage of men, but I do believe that there is a shortage of men willing to enter a LT relationship; perhaps they are too busy, perhaps they are too involved in 1-nighters or they are just spending too much time partying...
    Agreed and also they tend to have local girls throwing themselves at them due to the percieved 'status' it gives them for bagging an expat BF.

HC
    I think to be fair that we should add an element of what I would term "expat imperialism". I don't mean that as a negative term, simply that an expat is generally a privileged individual who is generally well-compensated, well-traveled, and has a leg up on the local competition. Everything you and Hullexile have said is also true -- things are a little bit difficult generally for the women here I think without getting into the reasons. So, the situation with HK women is similar to any other 'buyers market', there is a lot of opportunity for the cashed up investor.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Agreed and also they tend to have local girls throwing themselves at them due to the percieved 'status' it gives them for bagging an expat BF.
    Life is shit isn't it?

If I were to become single anytime soon (doubt it will happen), I know for a fact that I would have multiple choices for female companions who are attractive, articulate and successful.

HC
    Agreed. I have many great single female friends here. Meanwhile, my male friends (regardless of whether they are great, mediocre or otherwise...) are generally doing very well for themselves on the 'dating' front.

Edit: just to be clear, I'm agreeing with HC, not Brown_By_Nature.
    Last edited by ArKay; 02-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Do it -- take the plunge, have the adventure. What have you got to lose?

Is it really easy to meet people here.

And, FYI, there are lots of single expat girls who are practically dateless because... well... we all know why, haha!!!

Rock n' roll. Do it mate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast