Like Tree1Likes

Should I take the plunge?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Should I take the plunge?

I have the offer of a job in Hong Kong and I need to decide this week whether to take it. The thing that is making my decision difficult is that I also have an offer of a great job in London (same salary, though higher tax in London). Ok, so maybe I am spoilt, but it is making my decision harder.

Never having lived in Hong Kong I would really appreciate advice to any of the questions below:

1. Should I move to Hong Kong?
    2. Where is the best place to meet new people? I know almost no-one in HK.
    3. Is it easy to meet great expat girls? I’m looking for a steady relationship, not casual dating?
    4. Will I be homesick?

BTW, in case you’re wondering I’m an English guy, early 30s.

Thanks for any advice…

Yes, yes, yes, yes !!! I just moved to London after a two year stint in HK (not knowing anyone either) and will jump at the next opportunity to go back. (don't get me wrong, am also loving it here, but i miss the friends I made in HK, the hiking, the clubbing, the never ending buzz of things to see and do...)
    PM me if you want to grab a pint - more than happy to give 10 cents worth!

If it's the same salary as London then you will be much much better off here. Tax is not just lower - it's practically non-existent by comparison, and there's no NI. There is also no council tax, and the cost of living is cheaper for everything except housing.

If you don't, you will probably regret the decision!
    Posted via Mobile Device

1. Most people love it, some people hate it. You won't know unless you try so go for it.

2. geoexpat!

3. No idea. (I wouldn't limit yourself to expat girls only though, why not experience all the world has to offer while you are here?)

4. Almost certainly but you will get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by mv5869:
    1. Should I move to Hong Kong?
    2. Where is the best place to meet new people? I know almost no-one in HK.
    3. Is it easy to meet great expat girls? I’m looking for a steady relationship, not casual dating?
    4. Will I be homesick?
    1. Yes. It's a great place to live.
    2. Most expats don't know anyone when they first arrive and I'm pretty sure most expats would say it's very easy to make friends here (everyone's in the same boat, people don't have old school friends, family, etc. around so expats are generally very welcoming to new people and open to making new friends). And then there're locals.
    3. There are loads of great single expat girls here...not so many great single expat men...so the odds are definitely in your favour. And then there're locals.
    4. Maybe. But you won't know unless you try. And worst case scenario? You go back home.

Good luck making a decision.

which industry are you in?

I am guessinf that your career options in London will always be there and easier to secure. HK is a great place to further your career when you are young.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    3. There are loads of great single expat girls here...not so many great single expat men...so the odds are definitely in your favour. And then there're locals.

just out of curiosity, why do you think the gender balance is slanted?

I'm curious -- if you are only interested in 'expat' girls, why don't you just stay in London? There are obviously more white women there. Hong Kong and Asia generally have an enormous number of attractive, well-educated women; if you are only interested in gweilo women you probably shouldn't come.

I don't want to get into the "gweilo girl vs. asian girl" argument, but I would think that one of the main attractions of Hong Kong and Asia for any single male is the local girls (which is also, unfortunately, one of the reasons so many marriages flounder out in Hong Kong -- too many temptations).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast