Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

@Sanders
    Greetings from a Fellow Texan..also from Dallas

Firstly you cannot look for work/ work here without a work visa. I have checked this with the HK Immigration recently and they have confirmed this. The officers urged us to report people who sought work with us with tourist visas. I don't think they enforce it but its best to be aware of this.

Most landlords will ask you for a HKID or they will not rent you any premises.

You might want to research your job prospects here thoroughly as it is not that easy to find work unless you speak Cantonese. Either way I wish you the best and hope to see you more active on the forums.

Last edited by JaredHK; 02-06-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    gordonsanders likes this.

Have you ever read the Alchemist?

If you have then "i have sold my sheep" will mean something to you.

I am confident because I know that is what it takes. Being on this side of the "oceans" since Dallas is right in the middle, make it just a bit difficult to schedule interviews and meet with recruiters. Yes, I do have talents that are not locally available but it is hard to make those interviews sitting here in D.

Like I said in a previous post, there are other occupations that I can pursue including starting a sports instruction business that is not currently available in the HK area, at the expertise level that I offer.

Who knows, I could end up in Singapore :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    I'm curious. What kind of IT project management job is in such high demand that gives you so much confidence to easily pack up, move countries, and find a job just like that?

Do you have connections to HK? Or what is it that drove you to the decision to come out here?

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Firstly you cannot look for work/ work here without a work visa. I have checked this with the HK Immigration recently and they have confirmed this.
    Can you let me know exactly what they said, preferably in written form?

You can not *work* on while here on a visitor visa but there is no problem seeking positions that would require a visa - provided it is obtained before starting work.

@geoff

Why don't you go and ask them for something in writing yourself ?

MovingIn07 and JohanSWE like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gordonsanders:
    Have you ever read the Alchemist?

If you have then "i have sold my sheep" will mean something to you.

I am confident because I know that is what it takes. Being on this side of the "oceans" since Dallas is right in the middle, make it just a bit difficult to schedule interviews and meet with recruiters. Yes, I do have talents that are not locally available but it is hard to make those interviews sitting here in D.

Like I said in a previous post, there are other occupations that I can pursue including starting a sports instruction business that is not currently available in the HK area, at the expertise level that I offer.

Who knows, I could end up in Singapore :-)
    Well you have the right positive attitude! Good luck and hope the move works out well for you.

Where's PDLM?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    starting a sports instruction business that is not currently available in the HK area
    That will require a different visa.

Most landlords will ask you for a HKID or they will not rent you any premises.
    I've rented an apartment without HKID before so it is possible. I have been asked for references from past landlords before tho and also evidence of income...these might be issues for you before you start work. There are always alternatives tho if it is an issue - serviced apartments, flat shares, etc.

@geoff

There is plenty of writing on their website, and nothing that prohibits someone for seeking employment while they are here on a visitor visa, provided they obtain one before starting work.

The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

As you are asserting something over and above the published regulations I would expect the burden of proof to fall on you!

i have looked on the main HK Immigration page and it says nothing about looking for work while on a Visitor Visa, only that you cannot WORK while on a Visitor Visa

Is there another place that i should look.

Thanks for your advice

------

Visit Visa / Entry Permit Requirements for the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region

Part II

5. Visitors are required to have adequate funds to cover the duration of their stay without working and, unless in transit to the Mainland of China or the Macao Special Administrative Region, to hold onward or return tickets. If you want to stay longer than the visa free period allowed, you must apply for a visa or entry permit before travelling to the HKSAR.

6. Visitors are not allowed by law to take up employment (paid or unpaid), to establish or join in any business, or to enter school as a student, nor, except in the most unusual circumstances, are visitors allowed to change their immigration status after arrival.

@geoff

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast