Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Gordon, my name is Sigga Freedollar Alchemist. I'm writing from the HK Immigration Office.

Our computer has randomly selected you for an express visa grant under the Skilled Migration Programme. This means that you can freely immigrate to Hong Kong and become a permanent resident the moment you arrive. In addition, we will make you a Justice of the Peace, a position which enables you to sell tobacco products and wear sandals without socks on alternate Sundays.

All you need to do is send me your bank account number, a specimen signature, your passport, and gold or precious stones you own, a DNA sample, any bond or share certificates you may have, US$250,000 in cash and a photograph of yourself in a compromising sex act, preferably one involving reptiles.

This offer will end tomorrow, so act quickly. It is your destiny.

cute... but i dont wear Sandals. I wear Vibram Five Fingers. So i guess that i will have to decline your oh so timely offer

moving company

Hi,

I moved one month ago with the help of Asian Tigers both sea and plane stuff.

don't know their price though as it was paid by my company.

Regards,
    Julie

I admire your positive attitude Gordon, hope all goes well. Have a plan B though just in case.

On the visitor visa issue the immigration website is strangely silent on the issue of job searching. Does not say you CAN'T but it is not listed in the things you CAN do either. My experience of HK bureaucracy is that if the rules don't say you can then you can't even if it is a completely sensible thing to do.

I guess the issue with them officially saying that you cannot look for work whilst on visitor visa, would cause problems for companies who legitmately need to recruit people with certain skills from overseas. How could they bring them to HK for interview?

are you good with pizzas?

One thing is clear - you cannot reside in Hong Kong without some sort of visa permitting you to do so. A Visitor Visa doesn't allow you to reside here. Turning up at HK ImmD admitting that you don't have any other address you call home would be a Bad Idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Where is PDLM? Vacation?
    I suppose it's nice to know that I'm missed, even when I'm only away for about 40 hours!

you would assume op would have some general knowledge about visas and immigration when op worked with the US Government's Citizenship and Immigration Service.

I like your positive thinking as well ! Sell your house and go !
    Hate people who just sit and think about things like that and just wont do anything to make their dreams come true.
    But I would rather choose a country where I wouldnt need a visa or
    I already had one.
    Or you can always marry one of your friends here !

Good luck getting a job and have a plan B !

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast