Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    you would assume op would have some general knowledge about visas and immigration when op worked with the US Government's Citizenship and Immigration Service.
    'assume' being the operative word here, Clearly he hasn't checked on the HK Immigration side of things.
    Posted via Mobile Device

when op worked with the US Government's Citizenship and Immigration Service.<<<_

Having Special DHS Clearance does not in anyway mean that the person works for the DHS or US immigration. Many servicemen, people who need access to high security areas like Military installations and people who deal with public records/data need such a clearance. These people are in demand Stateside if they have the required skills the employer needs to match these special clearances.

Either way he seems pretty confident and wants to give HK a shot so I think we should give him all our help and support instead of making personal attacks and being negative about the whole issue.

Last edited by JaredHK; 02-06-2010 at 09:43 PM.

....they need a lot of English teachers here in China, give it a shot

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    are you good with pizzas?
    I also hear there is a high demand for frozen chappatis.

If all elese fails, think of flat&round food stuffs.

HC

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    Either way he seems pretty confident and wants to give HK a shot so I think we should give him all our help and support instead of making personal attacks and being negative about the whole issue.
    Help and support for somebody thats clearly not going about it the right way?
    He's selling up and moving here with the obvious intention of residing here until he gets a job.

This is clearly against immigration rules and policy. And you want us to run a ticker tape parade for him?

Get real.

I hope that isn't the OP's real name, it's a bit of a blonde moment for him, if it is, considering the very high probability that HK IMD will be informed of his intent.

Lots of dobbers here

Of course it's his real name - and Google immediately throws up the matching LinkedIn profile as well.

Come come now boys and girls. Clearly our friend here is on an extended vacation staying with friends in HK and Singapore inbetween house moves. Nothing illegal in that. If he happens to find himself in an American Chamber of Commerce meeting or other networking event; have a chat to InvestHK; bump into any people he used to work with; or go to a geoexpat event and chat about his work life and all of this turns into a job opportunity, I'm sure he'll sort out his visas before starting work.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK:
    +1

Seriously, what's all the drama over coming in as a tourist and looking for work? He's not planning on working as a visitor. Intent can change 20 times in 20 seconds. It does not mean a thing. All international students coming to United States on an F1/student visa have to demonstrate their 'intent' to return to their home countries after completion of educational goals when they apply for this visa at a US Consulate abroad. How many actually follow-through on this intent to return to their home countries? It's not a big deal anywhere.

OP, yes, when you land in HK, please don't tell immigration that purpose of your stay is to look for a job. Other than that, good luck. And yes, everyone needs a backup plan. Depending on just one way to success, however you define it, is not prudent IMHO.
    Freetrader, pizzalover and Loz_2 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    Given the attitude toward illegal immigrants in most the state of Texas, I am rather surprised you thought you could just hop countries and hope to find a job once there. Or come on a tourist visa all teh while knowing that the trip wasn't really for tourism (although I am sure you will do some of that, too).
    Could be worse, I suppose you could be from Phoenix.
    I agree he seems a bit naive but why the hostility towards Texas? And Arizona? Name me a country that welcomes illegal immigrants and I'll be surprised. I favor more liberal immigration policies than most people do but it is certainly understandable that concern about illegals exists during a period of high unemployment when there are around 20 million of them. In any case, Texas has always been quite tolerant of illegals, as ex-Govenor GW Bush famously said, "If they're willing to walk across the Sonoran desert, then we want 'em."
    Last edited by Freetrader; 02-06-2010 at 11:41 PM.
    pizzalover and Loz_2 like this.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast