Like Tree25Likes

Sold my house and moving to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by eggmonster:
    it may soon change again with the new government in place.......already scrapping ID card for people living in the UK. What a waste of money
    what was the waste of money, scrapping them or bringing them in?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    If you are lowering the US down to the standards of other countries when it comes to human rights to justify the passing of this law, then yes it seems reasonable, I would agree.

Frankly, to me it seems very un-American to be passing laws like this.
    I don't disagree, and personally like to believe that the US should hold itself to a higher standard, but the double standard that is frequently applied is a bit irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    Them too, I guess, when they start bringing in all 17 of their immediate family members.
    Just to put some facts to this:

Eligibility Criteria

People who wish to apply for a UK Dependency visa must be related to a person who is present and settled in one of the following ways.

Mother or Grandmother who is a widow aged 65 years or over.
    Father or Grandfather who is a widower aged 65 years or over.
    Parents or Grandparents travelling together of whom at least one is aged 65 or over.
    Parent or Grandparent aged 65 or over who has remarried but cannot look to the spouse or children of the second marriage for financial support and the person settled in the United Kingdom is able and willing to support him and any dependants.
    Parent or Grandparent under the age of 65 living alone in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain.
    Son, Daughter, Sister, Brother, Aunt or Uncle over the age of 18 if living alone in the most exceptional circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in Britain.

There must also be evidence that the UK Dependent visa applicant:

Is financially mainly dependent on the relative present and settled in the United Kingdom.
    Can and will be maintained and accommodated with any dependants without recourse to public funds
    Has no other relative in his own country to whom they could turn for financial support.

Good on you!

I would just like to say (to the OP) that i too also admire the positive attitude - and the bravery to just simply sell up and go!

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but i only talk the talk - still to decide if i can/will walk the walk...

As other people have mentioned, i'm trying to have a plan b in place and weight up my options before committing. Good luck in Hong Kong anyways!

Cheers,

gordonsanders likes this.

Thanks very much!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by gordonsanders:
    Also what is the most economical way of shipping a small amount of items to HK? I will be shipping from Dallas and dont really care how long it will take. Just a few items that I know that I will need in a few months once the weather changes and I get permanently situated.
    I used seven seas when I relocated: Excess Baggage Worldwide - Shipping Excess baggage and Excess Luggage Worldwide - Instant Free online quote

They were very reliable, picked up and delivered my stuff when they said they would, and I think they were quite reasonably-priced if I remember correctly.

Good luck with the move / selling your sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by hong kong pearl:
    I used seven seas when I relocated: Excess Baggage Worldwide - Shipping Excess baggage and Excess Luggage Worldwide - Instant Free online quote

They were very reliable, picked up and delivered my stuff when they said they would, and I think they were quite reasonably-priced if I remember correctly.

Good luck with the move / selling your sheep.
    you can go even cheaper if you can pack and deliver your goods to a shipping agent. pick up your own goods once they have arrived in HK.

Wink Update from OP

Actually it is not illegal to seek employment while on a visitor visa.

It would be illegal to take up volunteer work, or work in a paid position. But there is nothing wrong with looking for a job while in HK on a tourist visa.

I moved to HK about a year ago, and just secured employment, have my work visa, and my HK ID card, and a great apartment.

i want to give thanks to those that wished me the best, and to those that spoke but did not understand the law.... please talk to Stephen at Hong Kong Visa Centre... He gives great advice... Including this http://www.hongkongvisageeza.com/can...ployment-visa/

Glad to be here and finally a HongKie!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Ummm you've sold your house and moving to HK with no job to go to?

I assume you don't have any sort of 'visa' to live in HK legally? Because you can't just roll up and expect to reside here on a tourist visa whilst looking for work as thats illegal.
    Drunken Master likes this.

You can't 'reside' here whilst on a tourist visa, Which I assume you were doing for the past year.
    Anyway congratulations on finally making it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

We generally tell people not to say "looking for a job" if asked by ImmD the purpose of visit at the border. But this Stephen, he has this from the horse's mouth (ImmD)?

Closed Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast