Going to HKU law for 1 year, where should I live?

Going to HKU law for 1 year, where should I live?

I just got into a 1 year LLM program at HKU law and have never been to Hong Kong. I was wondering about housing. There are a number of different on-campus options that are cheap (really cheap). However, on a map, campus seems to be outside the city a bit. I was wondering if living on campus would be difficult to go into the city. Would I be stuck on campus, or is it really close to the city and easily accessable?

I'm not against finding my own place, it just seems about 3 times more expnesive and it just seems so easy to apply for on-campus housing.

Any suggestions? What would be better? Shelling out the money for my own place, a little closer to the city? Or, living on campus for cheap but with rules and being farther from the city?

If campus is not far from the city, I think it would be convenient for me to just live there. But, I'm not sure about the geography or the campus life.

Hi,

I'm not sure where the LLM program meets, but I think it is on the main campus on Pok Fu Lam, which is basically considered the mid-levels.

You really might want to take a look a map because Hong Kong is basically a city state. Ummm....put it this way...HKU main campus is closer to 'downtown Hong Kong' than Columbia's main campus is to midtown New York. In fact, you might be paying quite a bit to live nearby to the campus (off-campus) if it is the main campus (but others might know better than I about that area).

There is a good reviw of LLM programs in Asia here:

http://www.llm-guide.com/board/65

Yes, its on the main campus. Thanks for the NY comparison, that helps put the maps I've seen in perspective. Basically, I was concerned about being stuck in a bubble on campus. Also, I was worried about going out at night and having a long trek home at the end of the evening. Seems like it wouldn't be too difficult.

Being on Campus is not bad, given that the rent is cheap. You can take bus / minibus easily from campus to downtown and it takes around 15 mins. If you hanbg out late and wanna take taxi back home from LKF (our bar area), it won't take you more than HKD 40, I think.

All in all, I think it's a good choice. See if you can get in rooms of Graduate House, I think it's better than living in undergraduate student halls.

Cheers, Blom

I think Columbia is actually more of a 'bubble' than HKU.

I would suggest reading some info about HK Island in general. The population density of the urbanized areas of the island is greater than that of Manhattan. There is just a lot more non-developed areas in HK.

HK is like Manhattan, to the 3rd power. I really don't think you'll feel 'out of it' at all.