UK to HK - At a deadend with schools - HELP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question UK to HK - At a deadend with schools - HELP

Hi, I hope you all can help!

We are looking to move to Hong Kong from the UK in July, however I am not getting anywhere with a place at any of the International Schools.

Discovery Bay has been recommended to us, however the only school is really Discovery Bay International School and I cannot get a place there. The closest then is Bauihia ESF, but then that is closing next year and the new ESF will not be opening in Discovery Bay until 2008. Even if I do get my daughter into Bauihia then she may be left without a place again next year as they cannot guarantee she will be able to move over to the new school (cannot understand why, but that is what she said!). Also, my daughter is only 5 and I am not keen on her having to get a bus from Discovery Bay to the Bauihia school which takes about 1/2 hour.

I really love the look of the Australian International School, but will only have a slim chance of a place in Jan 2007. This school is however, in Kowloon Tong. There is also Beacon Hill ESF in Kowloon Tong which I would have a better chance of getting a place for her.

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of any of these schools and if Kowloon Tong is a good place to live. I have another daughter who is 3 and I will not be working, so I want to be able to get around and be close to facilities etc. My husband will be working at the airport. I appreciate that DB is closer for him, but I need to also prioritise schools.

I am getting a little bit anxious because I cannot see a way into any of the International Schools and am not sure what I am going to do.

Is there another alternative if we were to stay in DB? Or should we go with the Australian Intnl School and give Kowloon Tong a go? Does anyone know anything more about DBIS? Is it more International or local and how does anyone ever get a place there?

Any suggestions / recommendations would be greatly received.

Here is a link that I have used to find schools based on UK curriculum
    http://www.esf.edu.hk/schools.html
    Its the esf schools page and you can find some waty of contacting them and finding a place somewhere I am sure

northlakes2,
    You may want to choose the school first if it's causing you some concern. ESF teach with an English-based curriculum and employ native English speakers. Clearwater Bay Road on the edge of Sai Kung has an ESF primary school and ESL (operated by ESF) kindergarten. If you are interested then go here.

Smile

Thank you all - I wil try those links and see how I go.

I went to Kowloon, and Shatin Junior School, which are both run by the ESF. They were both great schools, but Shatin might be a little out of the way for you.

K.S

Esf

[
    Hi arrived in HK in March and know exactly what u r going thru.. the issue is that really u cannot place a child in a school here until u r actually here! I know,.. seems mad but true..
    I arrived from Vietnam were we had lived for 6 years but am originally from the uk, our daughter is 7 and we viewed many school and went and looked at places in DB? Was not my thing as i felt like it was something out of Stepford wives.. sorry for all thos that live there!

We looked at many many many apartments and houses and found a beautiful place on the peak, our daughter is now enrolled in the peak school which is a esf school, it takes all the best from the national curriculum and also teaches the children Mandarin which we thought was important!
    There are many private schools on the island but it is very difficult to get in 1 in the times u need! i know this......
    I wish u well and keep in mind all the other places in HK.. I found DB to be limited and it takes 25 minutes on the ferry to get onto HK island.. for me not an ideal situation!
    Hope i have been of some help!
    K.S

Hi,

I'm moving to HK in Jan 2007 and would really like to know which place you finally chose to live in andwhich school your kids are going to. My kids are also 5 and 2 years.

K.S

Talking Schools

Hi...
    Well we decided to move to the Peak and solely because our daughter aged 8 got a place in the Peak school, you have to have an address b4 they will give the place so we decided that it made sense to take the apartment we had on our shortlist due to there being a place in the peak.. school places are few and far between here....
    I would suggest u contacting schools now and getting appointments for interview as soon as you arrive otherwise you will struggle getting places..
    I hope this was of help?
    Good luck on ur move

inprov

I am also about to move to HK with children. I have 3 kids and the school thing has been really tough. Have you thought of Kellett school? They had a spot for one of my children, but I was not open to sending them to different schools. We are moving at the end of next month and still do not know which school they will attend. There are openings at American International School, Kiangsu and Chekiang, HKIS and Hong Kong Academy(which I am strongly leaning towards).

It seems overwhelming, but I am sure it will work out.

Hong Kong Academy is 65% British and American(still quite diverse) and while it is an international school with all classes in English, it has a strong focus on Putonghua, which I find very appealing. It does not have all of the fancy facilities that some of the large international schools offer, but I care far more about content.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast