University in HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_Monkey:
    So did I! Opps! Its hard to say why this is, but its probably something to do with the maturity of the average HK student and what is considered 'efficient' in the work place...

Anyway, there is a reason that the UK unis (Cambridge, Oxford, Kings, UCL etc) think that their students can do a masters in one year and HKU/CUHK/HKBU etc think theirstudents near three years.... <sigh>
    That's pretty strange. Still, if noone knows...
    I missed out on two years of high school (illness and the like) and ended up with only 3 GCSEs as a result....but I think I learnt more from the experience than I ever would have learnt doing 10 GCSEs. Hmm...
    Actually, another thing I don't get is why HKU teaches in English in the first place.

yerh, cant get a whole lot better than SOAS, if you hang out in the union there you are bound to meet people from this part of the world as well, though I wouldnt stay in there too long if you've got classes, the 'atmosphere' can make concentration hard afterwards...

Alternatively try ULU they run all sorts of courses (open to the general public as well as ul students), or look in the standard etc. There will also no doubt be students looknig to earn a bit of cash though teaching languages - though foreign students can work legally on a UK student visa...
    That's pretty cool...and you can rarely go wrong with networking. I'll check ULU out too.

For some bizarre reason it costs more to be a local part time student than an international full time student. Its prob because there arent enough international students for them to see it as a viable source of revenue, unlike the uk uni's.....
    I guess Hong Kong needs more publicity. Most people, if they have ever actually heard of HK, seem to think it's in Japan. Nobody really knows much about HK these days, but those I have shown the place to usually think it's amazing.

Mixed Gender... different floors.....
    Damn!

Anyway, studying abroad opens a lot of doors and provides you with a whole lot of new experiences. If your not looking at accredited courses, (i.e. RIBA accred etc.) then you mgiht also wanna consider Singapore etc (english is meant to be better and more wide spread there) or europe -
    I'm not a fan of Singapore...they're rather too authoritarian for my liking. As William Gibson said, Disneyland with the death penalty...
    Europe though, that sounds like a good bet but I bet it costs a fortune. Do some of the good European unis teach courses in English?
    Come to think of it, are HKU's degrees internationally accredited?

moving to HK and hall rules??

Hey I'm a Singaporean girl, just finished my undergraduate the uni of bristol and I'm moving to HK to do my postgrad and work as a lawyer. Would be cool to chat to some pple beforehand. Yes it seems to be true that Hongkongers are quite unwelcoming and even in the university here they tend to stick together...but of course there are exceptions to every rule and it would be good to get a mix of contact with locals and expats.

Anyway I did want to ask, is it true that the HKU halls don't allow 'other sex' visitors? My boyfriend will be in Beijing and when he visits he'd need to stay with me. Would flatsharing be a much better option?

Quote Originally Posted by Viper:

I'm not a fan of Singapore...they're rather too authoritarian for my liking. As William Gibson said, Disneyland with the death penalty...
    Europe though, that sounds like a good bet but I bet it costs a fortune. Do some of the good European unis teach courses in English?
    no way Europe is the opposite European universities charge something like 300 - 400 euros a YEAR it's practically free. AS for English, obviously it varies and for places like Switzerland for e.g. English courses would be easier to find; in France u usually get mixed courses in French and English. In Germany some places have pure English courses as far as I know.

HKU is a very established university, I believe and clearly internationally accredited. One should caution against bias against Asian universities!

HKU is a self-accrediting Uni in HK, i.e. they have an internal (and external) accreditation system on their own so that they can operate course / start new course themselves. International accreditation may not be a usual practice..

If you're talking about recognition of the prgramme, then it depends on the decision of individual organization / college, but I think in general it should be fine.

Hope it helps..

Cheers, Blom

Thanks.
    I noticed from their website CUHK are making a big push to become really international, and they want their international student population to reach 25%. I guess the reality doesn't meet the wish.
    Actually CUHK has a lot of international students, since the offical language at the univeristy is English as well. However, some departments require undergrad students to take Chinese language courses (either Cantonese or Putonghua) as a graduation requirement. Also, a certain percentage of courses in the arts and social science departments are thaught in Cantonese. However, from my own experience I know that you can get by easily without Canto...
    Last edited by geo-seb; 15-06-2006 at 04:11 AM.

[QUOTE=lynooi]no way Europe is the opposite European universities charge something like 300 - 400 euros a YEAR it's practically free.
    HKU is a very established university, I believe and clearly internationally accredited. QUOTE]

Where did you get the figure of 300-400 Euros from? The UK is in Europe the last time I looked and we charge 10,000 Euro plus per year for international students. Even UK students have to pay 5000 Euro or so this year.

What does internationally accredited mean for a university? Who would they be accredited with?

If you want to be a NET teacher, you will need to study for the Bachelor of Education.

I'm currently studying the PGDE at HKU and I'm not impressed with the teaching standards or their level of English. One of my lecturers sometimes uses Cantonese in parts of her lesson, which drives the native English speaking students nuts.

You're better off studying in your country.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    What does internationally accredited mean for a university? Who would they be accredited with?
    Academic programmes (like the ones offered in Uni), unlike professional quaifications, do not often have "international accreditation" I guess. Accreditation is often done by local accreditation authority, or the education organization (like Uni, Colleges, etc.) enjoy self-accrediting status and can quality assure their own programmes.

I guess what Viper meant was international recognition

Cheers, Blom

[QUOTE=hullexile]

Quote Originally Posted by lynooi:
    no way Europe is the opposite European universities charge something like 300 - 400 euros a YEAR it's practically free.
    HKU is a very established university, I believe and clearly internationally accredited. QUOTE]

Where did you get the figure of 300-400 Euros from? The UK is in Europe the last time I looked and we charge 10,000 Euro plus per year for international students. Even UK students have to pay 5000 Euro or so this year.
    I myself am studying in the United Kingdom and that's not what I meant by Europe, I supposed I used the term a little loosely! Yes I am paying through my nose here, but as for the refrences to France and Germany etc. I believe my information is generally correct.

Quote Originally Posted by lynooi:
    no way Europe is the opposite European universities charge something like 300 - 400 euros a YEAR it's practically free. AS for English, obviously it varies and for places like Switzerland for e.g. English courses would be easier to find; in France u usually get mixed courses in French and English. In Germany some places have pure English courses as far as I know.

HKU is a very established university, I believe and clearly internationally accredited. One should caution against bias against Asian universities!
    Hmm...I'm betting that's not the case for international students. I will look into it though, thanks.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast