Where do your kids go to school?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    inprov

Where do your kids go to school?

My posts do not get responses on Geobaby. People only seem concerned with nurseries and kindergartens...

I am having a terrible time trying to get my kids into school. What do people do? I have three children (6, 3, 9) and they NEED a decent school for January. We are from the States, so obviously it must be an English school. Why is it so compeitive? Is the American Int'l School any good? What about
    Kiangsu & Chekiang? My husband has reservations about that as it is mostly all Chinese. He thinks my kids will not fit in. The eldest is already a bit of an intellectual as well as a loner, so maybe that would not be good.

We (I) estimated our education budget at just $75k per child, as that was based on the American school. My husband says we will have to pay the difference. HKIS said that they could have a spot, but my husband says no to any class that is Christian, as it would confuse them.

This is so stressfull. We are moving soon and I have no schools.
    Any advice?

What about living out in NT?

Singapore International School

Hi inprov,

I empathize with your frustations. Have you considered the Singapore International School ? It's in the southern part of HK Island. If it is similar to those in Singapore, most kids are more comfortable in English than Chinese. I believe it is also non-religious too.

I've posted a couple of times about Kiangsu & Chekiang - a search should bring up the threads. Still happy with it a year on.

Hi
    There are many good schools in Hong Kong. Most expats choose the International schools but not all and some have used good local schools. It is true some schools have a long waiting list so it maybe you need to use your nationality (?American) to secure a place.
    Some of the estate agents who show you properties will advise you on school location etc and so if you are coming over to look at property this is the time to make school appointments/see the location.

In Hong Kong there is a school bus system which makes the transport issue easier.
    I don't know about the American schools but as far as I gather, religious instruction is not included in the same way as in church schools (either Catholic or Church on England) in the UK, where I'm from. I think you would need to check this with individual schools. There is none at the French international school for instance.

This actually bothers me a little in reverse but I cover that area myself now in my parish.
    So long as the school teaches good behaviour and consideration for others. Some of the behaviour in expat kids at International schools is a bit iffy IMHO but that could be for many reasons (you can all postulate!)

You need to know your budget for accommodation,see Hong Kong, where you want to live (uptown/HKisland or not/beachy or not/etc) depends on your husbands work and narrow down your choices a bit.
    Some schools are more academic than others.
    In our road children are all either English or French, mother-tongue and go to French international (French side/Bilingual side or International side)/Chinese International/Bradbury/Hong Kong Academy/Kellett.
    No-one has any big complaints as far as I know.

For the local schools - someone else may have info.

Your 3y old would go onto a waiting list (or attend a local Kindergarten) I would worry about that separately and consider the older two as priority.
    Many families can't get siblings into the same school, not always a bad thing or don't want to send their youngest too far (there are many many places for a 3y old to do nursery before 'big school') eg Woodland group of pre-schools.

Hope this helps, are you visiting prior to moving here?
    Maybe someone can answer about the American school.

LA

Ps in answer to your question on another thread, it probably does help, that you have American nationality. Also if you emd up living Southside you can join the American club which has many activities for children (Tai Tam) and is very family-orientated and you may meet other similar families there. They are very approachable if you wanted some advice, too, there are many many American families on HK southside.
    Good luck!

You do not need to worry too much on some Christian schools, for example, my son is a non-Christian, no problem in his Christian school

He is now at
    http://www.cais.edu.hk/

More school listings
    http://9n.nu/hong-kong/international-schools/index.htm

Hi all,
    My British son (9) attends the Delia School of Canada in Tai Koo shing, he loves it there, the classes are small, he has made friends with many different nationalities and is very active with their after school clubs. Their language classes are superb as well.

Gweilo

inprov

It looks like it was founded as a Christian school on the website. Is this so? I wrote to them, but they have not responded. As non-Christians, I do not want my children studying religion. Did you have any admission issues?

Thanks

why is it a problem that the school might have a majority of Chinese students?
    you are moving to China (Hong Kong) after all?
    i would think that it would instill a sense of equality, tolerance and encourage the child to learn about different cultures rather than be so america-centric(i don't even think that is a word!!!)...

anyway, even the international schools will have a large # of chinese as many of them are overseas chinese and as american, canadian, british as their white counter-parts...

how does your husband feel about living in a place where 95% of the population is chinese...is he afraid that the family will "stick out" and be shunned as well?

you can try...
    canadian int'l
    ESF schools (this will depend on where you live)
    C & K int'l
    australian int'l
    singapore int'l
    french int'l (english stream)
    German-Swiss int'l (english stream)

there are many schools to look into, but honestly... saying you don't want a school because there are too many chinese, is truly aweful (even if your child is a loner, that's no excuse)

good luck with your search!

>> I wrote to them, but they have not responded.

CAIS ?

>> As non-Christians, I do not want my children studying religion.

We are non-Christians too, ok, i feel CAIS is better than ESF or non-religionous schools, as the kids can develop better characters, moral training and others.

CAIS has a policy to welcome students from ANY religious backgrounds or no religion at all.

Thus this Christian school has a very open-minded atitude compared to some other Christian schools.

If they can openly accept us,
    why we cannot openly accept them ?

We do not believe in Bible too. No problem. I talked and explained to my son, he understands and is fine with it.

>> Did you have any admission issues?

What aspects ? religion background ?
    No worry, fine.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast