Like Tree2Likes

Most Respected University Department

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In knowledgeable members estimation, which Hong Kong Uni has the highest reputation for IT, Computer, Graphics and / or Design excellence? Particularly in the area of PhD work.

If they might have some " Kudos " with the Japanese, that might be an advantage.

Are there any renowned Professors here in those fields?

In knowledgeable members estimation, which Hong Kong Uni has the highest reputaion for IT, Computer, Graphics and / or Design excellence? Particularly in the area of PhD work.

If they might have some " Kudos " with the Japanese, that might be an advantage.

Are there any renowned Professors here in those fields?

Isn't HK's expertise textiles and material testing? I read about MBA being not too bad, but everything else is surely low on anyones list.

The Uni's have got a miriad of departments. Hence my question.
    FI - Up here in Tai Po the Uni has a HUGE block for the BioChem department so hardly a textile and material testing focus.

Respect, look at HKU.

UST however is a lot more progressive and international in its outlook, from what I gather talking to students and profs.

For Computer Science, you need to consider if you need a sciences oriented uni or a technology / business track uni. Again, my opinion is HKU is a more sciences oriented program.

Last edited by shri; 01-09-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Boris likes this.

IMO, HKUST for anything re technology.

Boris likes this.

Graphics/Design aren't really areas where there is much research going on. The real research usually happens in Computer Science /Engineering departments, and while some applications might have huge impact in the graphics industry, I don't think there are any PhD programs (in HK) focussing on such topics.

What I do know is that CUHKs engineering faculty has some professors who do really interesting stuff in image processing. I remember a demonstration where they demonstrated a pattern recognition program. You would feed old mangas into the program - those that had only every other page printed in colour, while the others used BW patterns. It would then automatically create a coloured version of the entire comic, including shadings and such. But if you start in that faculty as a PhD student, you'll go through at least two semesters of tough math - particular Fourier transforms in all varieties - before you ever get anywhere near anything related to graphics.

Generally speaking, I'd rank the locals schools UST>CUHK>CityU>HKU for CS/engineering. Of course this is very subjective and all I know is hearsay from other graduate students, but at UST you're the core of the university, while the focus of HKU, afaik, is more tilted towards Medicine, Law and Bioscience.

HKUST is slightly better ranked in IT and engineering than other HK universities.

That said it should be a pretty minor factor in choosing where to do a Ph.D. You are not guaranteed to find a topic that interests you at HKUST nor a supervisor whose supervising style fits the one you need. Look at universities that you find 'good enough' and find the best supervisor you can.

http://www.topuniversities.com/world...rsity-rankings

http://www.usnews.com/articles/educa...s-top-400.html

Last edited by Hugo85; 01-09-2010 at 07:50 PM.

FYI - Looking to utilise PhD students rather than be a PhD student myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    The Uni's have got a miriad of departments. Hence my question.
    FI - Up here in Tai Po the Uni has a HUGE block for the BioChem department so hardly a textile and material testing focus.
    Isn't bio-chemistry in HK mainly about man-made fibres?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast