English schools in HK

Closed Thread

English schools in HK

Hi - I'm looking for any help I can get with school admission for my 14 year old daughter. We are looking to relocate to HK from London by the end of the year - she will be in Y10 and looking to carry on with her GCSE programme. We are finding it hard to find a school that will consider her starting midway through the school year in Y10 but we don't have any choice in the timing of the move. Not sure how it works in HK, ie if we move there and she has no school to go to - do the authorities help in any way? Isn't education compulsory? Sorry if I sound naive but am desperately worried that we won't be able to find her a school place. Help!!!

Education is compulsory for up to a certain age. You can check out the government website for more details.

EDB - Index

Eventhough the government will be able to help out, they are under no obligation to find you a school doing IGCSE's and you should sort out your schooling needs before you get here.

If you (or your spouse) are coming here on an expatriate package, maybe your employer would be able to help.

You will find a space, that's certain but it may not be in a school that you like... Schools like Delia in Tai Koo very rarely turn away $$$ and there are several schools like that however as I said, it may not be as nice as you'd like or offer the kind of programming you're interested in... Best to try all the ESF schools first

Hi, we ran into that problem too. My husband started his contract in January of this year and since we couldn't get the kids situated into school right away, we waited until the summer to join him. In the meantime, he would fly home every six weeks and the kids and I came to HK to interview and select an apartment. My kids both go to ESF schools and they were able to get in with my husband's company's debenture.

Thanks for the responses. We've been working from the wikipedia list...ESF schools have refused to take her in January as its half way through the school year. My husband is already in HK now and we're trying to sort the school out before we can come over. His company won't help with schools as its not part of his package.

We'll be visiting in about 6 weeks so that we can try and do school tests, interview and choose an apartment. This was meant to be an exciting opportunity but schools are proving to be a nightmare! Hope we find something soon...

By the way my husband called EDB but didn't seem to get anywhere. :-(

Try AISHK, they are on an Oz calendar which might fit your purpose better

Call Mrs Doctrove in Island School. She is a senior English teacher who teaches A-levels in Island school that is a very reputable British Secondary School in the Midlevels of Hong Kong that is the affluent upscale neighborhood in Hong Kong. Call 1081 the hotline in Hong Kong to check out the telephone number for Island School at Borrett Road of the Midlevels of Hong Kong. Ask to speak to Mrs Doctrove. I am a good friend of her husband Ronnie Doctrove (British with Jamaican heritage) because we used to be in the same field: computing business and computer handyman services. In fact I have wrecked his computers and laptops when I tried to fix them so I am quite embarrassed to say my name to you. I think you may call them at their residence at Braemar Heights in Braemar Hill. Or you can call Island School to speak to her and she (Mrs Doctrove) is quite willing to help people.