Continuing Education Fund

Closed Thread

Continuing Education Fund

Apparently HK residents are entitled to an 80% reimbursement on approved continuing education courses, up to a 10K limit. I'm keen to broaden my horizons with some courses (esp. Mandarin courses)...but I can't tell from the government's list of reimbursable courses whether any of them are suitable for English speakers. Most of the institutions seem to be obscure private colleges. Has anyone taken any decent English-language courses that qualified for the CEF?

If the paperwork we have to complete to become an approved course is anything to go by expect applying for a grant to be difficult. Basically my understanding is that the CEF is set up to provide skills that may be short in Hong Kong and therefore I think your choice of English-language ones will be very limited. Ours is, but you need to pay 60k to get your 10k back so I am sure it is not what you are looking for. You only get your 10k back after successful completion by the way - you still need to pay up front and if you fail, no CEF money.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You only get your 10k back after successful completion by the way - you still need to pay up front and if you fail, no CEF money.
    Yes, hullexile got it right, so you may wish to consider whether you could catch up with the class (both in terms of attendance, in which you need at least a relatively high % [e.g. 80%], and successfully complete the course assessment). In cases of language courses, you need to sit for exit exam as well before you could reimburse.

The medium of instruction is definitely an issue. You could try to check out the courses on the list which you are interested, and then go to the providers' website to seek more information. By and large, the extension arms of local universities and some more big-scale schools may conduct courses in English. Unless you would like to study very specific, otherwise I guess you should be able to find something you like.

Hope it helps!

Cheers
    Blom

There are LOADS of Mandarin courses on offer, only that most classes, if not all, will be targeting those who already know how to read Chinese character. Teaching language still 99% be Mandarin as it's not too difficult for locals to listen to it.

Adding to that, you'll need to pass some "National" Putongua proficiency test for you to qualify for the tutition fee refund.