About HKUST and after...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Accomodation for students in and around Clear Water Bay, Kowloon...

Hi All...

I am joining HKUST in Clear Water Bay, Kowloon for pursuing my MBA in August. I am on a shoe-string budget and would like to have as much information about accomodation available for students outside the campus. The acco available on campus charges a rent of 2800 HKD per month.
    ...Do you think I can get a better offer off campus? Would like to the apartment/house to have cooking facilities as I am a pure vegetarian.

Waiting in anticipation...
    Troy.

Last edited by castor_troy; 17-06-2004 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Change in Title

The short version: living off campus won't save you money (maybe a few hundred bucks a month if you can find a roommate, maybe no savings or even "negative savings" if you can't), it WILL introduce a lot of inconvenience into your life, but it could provide an interesting cultural experience.

The long version:
    1) HK and especially UST are not like the US/UK where the areas around campuses are lively and have all sorts of bars, coffeeshops, bookstores, and the like. They are fairly isolated and the campus is a quiet self-contained world.
    2) As a result of #1, it's very hard to find off-campus housing within walking distance even if you're a professor. UST is in a desirable location right next to the ocean --- on a student budget of $2800, no chance. So you will be taking a minibus to and from campus, which will run you $80-$160 a month.
    3) The dorm includes all sorts of amenities and necessities which you're not gonna get on your own, like broadband internet access, electricity/water/gas, local phone service, cheaper usage of washing machines, kitchens with big fridges and real freezers, janitorial service for bathrooms and kitchens, a television, a security guard, etc. If you're off campus, you have to pay for those on your own or deal with the inconvenience of having to do many chores yourself, which means your actual budget for rent alone is closer to around $2000 and you lose free time for studying or relaxing.
    4) On $2000/month, you will not be living in an apartment or a western house. You'll be living in a 200-square foot place in an HK-style village, probably one of the more run-down ones. I think it's an interesting experience to live in a place like this, but you might disagree. I doubt that there would be many English-speakers in your village, for one thing. You will feel doubly socially isolated if you cannot interact with your neighbors and at the same time you're missing out on all the on-campus bonding AKA networking opportunities.
    5) Also don't think that cuz you're in an immersion environment with no English-speakers your Chinese is gonna get much better, especially if you're starting from scratch. You'll be busy with your MBA studies all the time, and you'd have a lot more opportunities to learn Chinese on campus where there are bilingual locals who would be willing to teach you.

Last edited by JohnnyQ; 18-06-2004 at 11:18 PM.

BTW you should probably see this thread about village houses in Sai Kung (an area near/including Clearwater Bay, depending who you ask), I think someone recommended a real estate agent:
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154

I'm also coming to HKUST this fall, and the best place I could find was a serviced apartment in Quarry Bay. The villas around HKUST are pricey and the minimum lease period is 2 years, I hear. Of course, that might suit you if you'll be there for 2 years. The serviced apartment I found was more like US$2000+ though...

JohnnyQ : Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail.

JohnnyQ, Thanks a lot mate for the detailed mail!
    Guess I shall try and see if I can share a apartment...else, will resort to staying on-campus.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Marritza:
    I'm also coming to HKUST this fall, and the best place I could find was a serviced apartment in Quarry Bay. The villas around HKUST are pricey and the minimum lease period is 2 years, I hear. Of course, that might suit you if you'll be there for 2 years. The serviced apartment I found was more like US$2000+ though...
    Hey Marritza...
    Glad to know u r joining as well...
    How long is your US$2000 + thing valid...? Are you planning on sharing the acco?

...troy.

Unhappy

I'll be staying till December this year with a friend. However, I agree - the on-campus accomodations don't sound that great - an apartment shared with 4 other people you don't know is a little too stressful...

I agree with JohnnyQ with regards to the advantages of living on campus (i.e. networking, facilities) Besides, it may be hard to find a cheaper alternative to the university apartments... at least not one that is comfortable enough. Actually I heard that the graduate house at HKU charges something like HK$4000/month!

If you already have your HKUST login account, you might want to try the Electronic Notice Board (ENB) or advertisements page. Occasionally, there are posts about available accommodation in the vicinity (e.g. Tai Po Tsai). I do not know the price range though. But it wouldn't hurt to put up an ad and see whether you can get some good offers.

Thanks Athena... Actually my primary consideration besides the comfort factor is the facility to cook. I am a pure vegetarian, and I wonder if I would be able to remain one if I opt for the on-campus dormitory..'cause thats an affordable option thats available.

I don't have access to the ENB. Shall enquire with the univ officials if they can arrange/assist for off-campus apartments.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast