Diploma of Education??

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Hi all,

So, I have an 'interview / subject test' for HKU's PGDE course. For those who have been through it, what exactly is it and do i need to prepare for it (besides bringing an HB pencil, per the email)?

Cheers!

There's no need to study for it. It's just a test for them to be sure that you are a native English speaker or at least have a good enough command of English to study the program. So basically, it's just an English test, with a passage to read and a bunch of comprehension questions. The remainder of the test are basically common idioms that folks use. I bet they use the same test every year.

Quote Originally Posted by helles:
    Hi all,

So, I have an 'interview / subject test' for HKU's PGDE course. For those who have been through it, what exactly is it and do i need to prepare for it (besides bringing an HB pencil, per the email)?

Cheers!
    i had mine a couple of months ago. definitely not something you can prepare for. if you're a native english speaker or have a good command of the language, it should definitely not be a problem for you.

may i ask which major did you choose for your PGDE? and do you currently have a job related to your chosen subject?

Quote Originally Posted by Kopi C:
    Deakin University (Faculty of Education) link:-
    http://www.deakin.edu.au/education/

I know a few teachers who completed their Bachelor of Teaching through Deakin. I believe teaching practice takes three months to complete. Anyway, I don't know how it works very well but I'm sure if anyone's interested, you should contact Deakin through their website.
    hi kopi - do you know how these teachers managed to complete their three months of teaching? i'm asking because i was told that the teaching has to be done across three different schools, which seems like it'd be a real hassle in terms of having a job as a TA at a particular school. how did these teachers find the flexibility to do so?

Nostalgic - Replied you via PM.

I'm wondering if this 'person' mentioned who ws useless and total waste of time was called 'Margaret'??
    Had to deal with her for an 'interview' where she was totalling de-selling the program for the 5 of us at the group interview and now been informed we are on the waiting list and to let her know once we have a primary school teaching job.
    Basically, it seemed like a formality to make the $300 paid worth its while and to put us off the course. Absolutely a waste of time and not the course I want to do.
    Good that i know now, rather than a few months in and $80k less, i suppose.

hi helles,

same bullshit as when i saw her a few months ago. but i thought margaret was only responsible for the primary english prospects. i was under the impression that you were going to try for something else, as you'd already found out in an earlier post that the primary english was a nightmare.

nostalgic

Quote Originally Posted by helles:
    I'm wondering if this 'person' mentioned who ws useless and total waste of time was called 'Margaret'??
    Had to deal with her for an 'interview' where she was totalling de-selling the program for the 5 of us at the group interview and now been informed we are on the waiting list and to let her know once we have a primary school teaching job.
    Basically, it seemed like a formality to make the $300 paid worth its while and to put us off the course. Absolutely a waste of time and not the course I want to do.
    Good that i know now, rather than a few months in and $80k less, i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by nostalgic:
    i had mine a couple of months ago. definitely not something you can prepare for. if you're a native english speaker or have a good command of the language, it should definitely not be a problem for you.

may i ask which major did you choose for your PGDE? and do you currently have a job related to your chosen subject?

Hi guys, I have a subject test on Saturday but not the one to test if you are a native speaker - this one is for the full-time English Studies pgde - has anyone ever done that one?! Apparently it also involves an essay - eek!

Thanks!
    Last edited by tiggerstravels; 15-01-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerstravels:
    Hi guys, I have a subject test on Saturday but not the one to test if you are a native speaker - this one is for the full-time English Studies pgde - has anyone ever done that one?! Apparently it also involves an essay - eek!

Thanks!
    If you're a native speaker of English, OR your command of English in all four skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) is "near-native", AND you can easily demonstrate this on the day... then you've NOTHING to worry about. These so-called "entry tests" (real breeze!) are supposed to sift out those who are NOT.

Still... similar to most tests, you can prepare and "practise" till you strike that mark/level, and come across "native" for all of a coupla hours... That's all you need.

After "getting in", and as the programme progresses, language standards can start sliding quite... at times, going a bit awry with hardly anyone batting an eye...

Edit: And oh - the "essay" writing task requires the usual good, basic use of grammar and punctuation. Definitely stick more to "the rules" than for when casually tip-tapping on an internet forum like this (obvious, huh?). Plus, inject individuality and reasonably "reasoned" opinion as well!

(Pls excuse - just one opinion.)
    Last edited by emmie; 15-01-2009 at 06:10 PM. Reason: More, & typos etc, galore

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3