Open University Hong Kong - reputation?

Closed Thread

Open University Hong Kong - reputation?

Hi There! My European friend who lives in Beijing is considering enrolling in the Master of Corporate Governance of the Open University of Hong Kong, because (1) he needs a master to progress in his career; (2) he can only do part-time and English-speaking courses; (3) the OUHK one is cheaper than similar programmes in other universities.

My question is - as expats of various industries living in Hong Kong, what is your perception of a Master degree in Corporate Governance from OUHK? For instance, if you are interviewing someone for a job, would you be skeptical / enthusiastic when you see that he has such a degree? If he has interesting and diverse working experience, would the fact that he as that degree from OUHK affect your decision of whether to hire him, and if so, how?

Thank you so so much for your advice!

Please~~ could anyone please give some feedback? Would really appreciate it!

Well, from what I know...
    Open university is called "open" for a reason. They have very little or no restriction on their admissions policy. That's not to say that the degree turns out to be a mill. OpenU is respected and is a very credible institute for learning. Have you turned to channel TVB pearl on Sunday morning? OpenU has a series named "open for learning" showcasing renowned people, lecturing, or hands-on showing what they are renowned for. This showcases the character of this University - the desire to educate.

They have a good distance learning program that is very convenient if you got a full-time job. If one believes in Life-long learning, one should enroll.

I don't think most of the corporations look deep into education of somebody. It's usually if he has a diploma or not. Unless, of course, you are to be a Doc or a Lawyer, biologist, etc. If it's business related, I'd think it's got to do more with experience, personality... and what this diploma would prove to me, if I were boss, is if that someone had the discipline to take a given task to the end.

Last edited by RayA; 25-10-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Thank you very much for your reply! That's really useful!

Could others also give their views? Much appreciated!!!

It is definitely not a top tier university for an HK employer.

The real issue it seems is what is this person wanting this degree for. As Covey says, begin with the end result in mind. Corporate gov'ce experts tend to be academics or consultants.

If the person wants to work in fields where this degree is not needed recruiters might screen them out.

I always subscribe to the view that if the person getting the degree is any good and if they worked hard and learned something then it does not much what school it is from unless you are being looked at by school snobs (some are out there in HK) who forget to focus on what has the person accomplished vs what school they went to.

Last edited by Football16; 26-10-2010 at 12:26 PM.